Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am just learning flash and I have an html page with 3 frames. I am making a couple of small flash navigation menus for simple links. How do I get the menus into the html page and how do I position them? Can I just reference the menus as a source for the frame?
    IP

Depends on your HTML editor on how you arrange the movies. Have a look at the help files in Flash they do give you good info.

Ohter way to go is to go into the flash sites and download tutorials on how to export your movie into an HTML page as well as the mags. Do a search and see what comes up. Sorry I cabn not be more helpful but youare a bit light on info.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I am light on info because I'm lost! I'll try your suggestions; thanks.
    IP

tailgunn

I assume that you are quite good at html.

Open up flash. In the top menu bar goto Modify / Document. (assuming your flash nav bar will appear in the left hand frame of your html page) Set the document width to 160 pixels, height to 460 pixels.

Create your Flash buttons. Give them the following action:

Button1:
    on (release) {
    getURL('right1.htm','right');
    }

Button2:
    on (release) {
    getURL('right2.htm','right');
    }

Etc.

Where 'right' is the name of your html frameset page's right hand side column.

Now save your flash nav bar as 'left.fla'

Publish settings will be 'left.swf' & HTML settings will be 'left.html'

Now in the web creator of your choice, set the left frame named 'left' and the html page as 'left.html' (This will load your Flash nav bar, REMEMBER Flash creates html pages with the extension .html NOT .htm)

This should now work for you. It worked for me.

You can view an example HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I get it. I was thinking for some stupid reason to use the swf as the frame source. So, I just need to make sure my frame source is the html that flash generates, and the function of the button tells it where to place the data. I always try to make things harder than they should be; thanks.
    IP

No problem tailgunn. You seem to have grasped it. I usually create my web sites as full Flash sites so I was interested in finding out how to do it myself. Went searching thru all the Flash forums for the syntax for the target frame, finally found it and only after this did I find Deeps reply on a thread 3 below this. Could have saved myself a lot of searching! HERE

Get back if you have any further problems.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I actually would rather just do an entire site in flash as well, but it's for a class and for some reason the instructor wants us to embed the flash nav bar in a framed html site. He even admits that he doesn't like frames, but for what he wants this is the best solution. Go figure.
    IP

Ok, I'm very frustrated. I just did a simple text header in flash to use as the top row of my framed page; it doesn't work. It's been awhile since I've used html but I know my syntax is good. It's just a nested frameset with a top row and two columns beneath. I even stuck it in dreamweaver, which I've never used before and the frames worked when previewed in Firebox, but it wouldn't pull the flash file. However, in IE the frames don't even work.
    I've tested flash's html file and it works by itself. I've specified a relative path and an absolute path to it; nothing.
    I did not mess with the publish settings either. I can't figure out what the deal is! Any ideas?
    IP

A couple of questions for you:

1) When you view the flash file embedded in a simple HTML page, does clicking your link pop open a new window? If it doesn't, then there's an issue with your code in Flash.

2) If you remove the SWF from the HTML frame, does the frameset work? If not, then there is a problem with the frameset code, or with one of the frames loaded by the frameset.

3) Always try and remember to use an HTML page to embed the SWF. Unless MIME types are set properly on the server, you can't guarantee all browser/machine combos will read your file correctly/pass the info to the Flash Player. This is a far more common issue than people tend to realize - often MIME types are set incorrectly and the item tries to open in the wrong application, causing things to look wonky, not load at all, or sometimes crash altogether. Unless you've got control of your server config, though, chances are you don't have much control over the MIME types - embedding the file in an HTML doc, therefore, gets around the problem.

Hopefully this helps!
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

I haven't even gotten to the point of having my nav bars on the page. I can't even get this simple title graphic to work, and the framed page itself won't work in ie. But, it works in dreamweaver; still won't show the flash file though. So, I don't know if it's my html code or my flash. Here's the frame code; yes, I realize one source is blank; that's where the nav bar is going.

<frameset rows="100,*">
    <frame src="title.html" frameborder=2 name=title>

<frameset cols="185,*">
    <frame src="" name=navbar>
    <frame name=content>
    </frameset>

</frameset>
    IP