Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Linking to an Anchor

I am having a difficult time linking to an anchor. I have named an object, basically a rectangle and linked a button via "Link to Anchor" using the name given the object. When I test it, nothing happens. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Default Re: Linking to an Anchor

If it a short page, the browser tries to put the anchored item at the top of the page but stops when the bottom is displayed so it seems the anchor has failed.
    Make the height of your browser very short and try it, it should jump to the right place if you've set up the link properly.

Acorn

Thank you Acorn!! I have a long page with some text part way down. I have tried to place a button, menu, rectangle near the top to link to the rectangle around the text below. I have named the box around the text below then used the link to anchor for a button, menu, and the rectangle but none worked. I would move them to different layers and still nothing worked.

Can you upload your .web or copy of, with the page as it is presently?

Acorn

wit-online.com, I have a row of buttons above each course list to make it easy for the user to move to another group. Only one of the buttons work. The site is no where from being completed, just need to figure out how to get the link to anchor working. If I select the box around a particular list and anchor text to a button, it will work. But I won't be able to do this to the next row of buttons.

Thank you Acorn for all your time, patience, and help.

Sincerely,
    klowetx

Sorry for not mentioning the page. Go to "Course Categories" at wit-online.com

klowetx, your site clearly has had a lot of attention.

I can't directly comment on what you did in your design but my immediate recovery suggestion would be to split the wit_courses_by_category.htm page into six categorised pages and change the Category buttons into links to these pages. You could also add a sub-menu from the Courses > Courses by Categories selection.

This will make the pages smaller, as even with a 24MB speed, the site is quite unresponsive, which ultimately will lose you customers.

Part of your speed problem is some very large image file sizes, typically several of 300 - 500 kB on a page.
    The 1.5MB animated GIF is the killer as you have scaled it down from 1,323 pixels wide for use in a 158 pixel position!

Sorry if it is not the solution you were after.

Acorn

As always, thank you Acorn. Yes, I originally had the course groups and different pages and will probably put them back on different pages again but would still like to know how to have the link to anchor work. As to the image sizes, I have not figure out how to shrink them down without loosing noticeable quality. When I create the gif larger, it is crisper when I use it in a smaller position.

I prefer not to loose the quality of the background image and not sure how to reduce it without loosing clarity. Thank you again for all the help and suggestions.

Sincerely,
    klowetx

Here is an approach to recover your Anchors. The concept can be extended for any number of buttons.

1. Create a box on the page and give it the six anchor Names [N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6] - for my example I used One, Two, Three, Four Five, Six.
    This is needed to allow you to create the links from your buttons to the anchors.

2. Create a row of six buttons: [B1] [B2] [B3] [B4] [B5] [B6] and link B1 to N1, B2 to N2, etc

3. Clone the button row into the five remaining locations.

4. Add one Anchor to one button on each row:

R1: [N1] [B2] [B3] [B4] [B5] [B6] B1 is Named N1
    R2: [B1] [N2] [B3] [B4] [B5] [B6] B2 is Named N2
    R3: [B1] [B2] [N3] [B4] [B5] [B6] B3 is Named N3
    R4: [B1] [B2] [B3] [N4] [B5] [B6] B4 is Named N4
    R5: [B1] [B2] [B3] [B4] [N5] [B6] B5 is Named N5
    R6: [B1] [B2] [B3] [B4] [B5] [N6] B6 is Named N6

5. Delete the Box with the six anchors.

If you publish the above, then clicking B3 on R4 will shift the page to R3, etc.

I shifted the anchors onto the buttons so you always have something to click without scrolling.
    I also altered the Named button colour to present a necessary visual context.
    I personally would add a further Top link to get back to the top of the page to complete the navigation.

The .web here was an Import from your site to orient you better: Courses by Categories.web

The .web is 1.5MB underpinning my previous concern over the size of your graphics...

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 June 2013 at 07:45 PM.