Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Concentric circles equally spaced?

In this particular case, although it can be done with either Blend or Contour tools I'd recommend the blend tool as it's far more configurable.

(Watch in HD)

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ Egg

The video comes up with "Sorry, this is private"

Sorry puw, for some reason my YouTube channel is defaulting to Private instead of Public. I keep forgetting to alter this. I've made it Public now so you should be able to view it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi egg, yes I can watch it now thank you very much (also just had to update my flashplayer).

WOW. That is a great tutorial video on this topic (for all shapes), because the moving it around, quickly allows you to do perspective with it. I did not know that move - thank you.

A quick question - did you remove the first small circle, or did you just select it via ctrl left mouse, in order to open the ability to move it around? I only ask as your mouse movement in the video (not your fault) made me think you were selecting it to remove it. Seems a silly question as I read this back, but just wanted to be sure

I'm just wondering, this idea popped into my head, that if you did the concentrics, moved them for perspective, then created all semi-circles, would this be possible do you think? I'm thinking this would really help and save time in constructing an arched enclosed walkway or internal view of a cathedrals roof (for example), as the framework to build on. Your moving it around is giving me quite a few ideas (James Bond film intro).

Selected the small circle by Ctrl+Left Mouse Button then moved it about. I tend to use Ctrl+Alt for this as once selected and as long as you keep the left mouse button depressed, you can move it about at will ~ great if you've many small close spaced objects.

Something like this?

We had a good discussion re James Bond film intro HERE a couple of months ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corridor.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	105215  
    Egg

Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I was visualising Egg.

Wow, it works, really good - thanks.

Since you've shown it can be done, the arched corridor using this effect, I'll go and try and do it. Thank you

Default Re: How to make concentric circles (equally spaced)

Ok, so I made a blend, put some perspective on it and then went through the process of selecting each circle and making each into a semi-circle (as discussed here http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...582#post518582 )

This is just to begin, to see if I can work out how to do. I tried selecting all, convert to editable shapes, but the nodes don't show for each one, so I realised 'you must' do each one individually (don't know of a quicker/easier way).

End result was a vary basic arched corridor (looks more like one of those long greenhouses for mass production lol) - so initial success

Then I wondered if I could alter the perspective, so select the smallest arch, ctrl alt and you just move the one arch. So, managing to select all, the ctrl alt trick does move them all, but not in the same manner which I am guessing is due to making them all editable shapes - the arches become in effect a glued rigid structure.

So the key to this is making sure you position your concentric circles perspective correctly before converting and cutting them up!

Another plus for me in doing this exercise, is that I am beginning to understand perspective a little better, and when I see 'blind spots' mentioned, I'm starting to grasp what you all mean

If you have Designer Pr, you could use the Blend tool to keep a rigid shape.
    The start and end objects are Ctrl selectable.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The rigid structure reference is with regards the difference of after selecting the original circle/shape, then ctrl alt with 'left ' mouse on, and moving around is quite flexible, to cutting up the circles and losing that flexibility (becoming rigid in the movement). I was hoping to keep the flexibility.

Not following you here puw. When are you cutting up the circles? You should do it first then use the blend tool.
    Egg