Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did Xara create their video tutorials?

Does anybody know what specific tools did Xara use to create their video tutorials? They are wonderful and I'd like to create similar Xara tutorials to share.
    1. What program was used to capture the screens with cursor movement and menu selections?
    2. What program was used to record the audio, and then sync it with the screen movements?

Thanks, everyone.
    "Leave it a lil better than b4."

Default Re: How did Xara create their video tutorials?

Only Xara can answer this question.
    Maybe drop them a line?
    http://www.xara.com/contact/

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I don't know how Xara does theirs but I can tell you how I do mine.

I start by creating a presentation in Xara Designer Pro for the intro. This usually has a couple of steps that show the finished project and other related items such as previews of downloadable files if I'm providing files to use to do the tutorial. I open my intro presentation in the full screen window and while I'm recording the screen and audio (I do this at the same time) I use the keyboard to progress through the presentation. I often write a script for the intro but the main tutorials I just describe what I'm doing as I'm doing it.

The next step is to record the actual tutorial, again I record the video and the audio at the same time. I know not everyone likes to work this way but I don't mind it.

I use FastStone Capture to record the screen and the audio, and I use Video Pad to splice the clips together and remove any unwanted bits (like the dog barking etc)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Frances thanks for sharing your method

I also don't know exactly what Xara used, but I've done a decent number of videos with (what I think is) the industry "standard", which would be Camtasia Studio, which is made by techsmith. It's a little pricey for a hobby, but it's also pretty full-featured. They have a free program with time limitations and no editing called Jing and the full Camtasia product, which runs $299. You might be able to find a bargain bin copy of an older version around somewhere for less, though I've not seen any myself.

I have version (I think) version 7. they are on v8 now, but their upgrade costs are a bit high at $150 - about half of the full new version. Not terrible, but not justifiable for me. Since I own a technology company with a computer training service offering, I can at least write it off as a business expense!

It really is a pretty cool application, as it lets you do screen zooms, title pages, annotations, multiple audio tracks (so you can record the audio as you go or add it later or both or layer in background music or whatever), video transitions, etc. It's funny because I created videos all the time prior to purchasing the tool and I haven't created one since! I DO use Jing all the time because it's really fast to get quick tutorials to my computer clients. Since I do Joomla websites and use Xara to build the mockups and nearly all of the graphics we use for them, I am working on some Joomla tutorials with it as well (as time permits).

Hope this helps. You can find the product here: http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

Xara used to use Camtasia at one time. Now, Magix create all the marketing videos and very likely use their own software.

If you want something a lot less than $299 (100% freeware) and very cool which is easy to use, try EZVID.
    http://www.ezvid.com/

Good tip, Sledger. When I picked up Camtasia, the free options available were not great. They were jerky recordings, tapped the CPU unnecessarily, and had stability issues that I didn't have with Camtasia. They also had much more limited export options and editing was pretty much either non-existent or really esotecric to use with good effect.

I'll have to check out the ezvid thing and see how it works.

By the way, you might want to pay attention during the EZVid install. Because they are ad and 3rd party supported, you will want to make sure to know what is getting installed on your computer when you install their app. Currently, it's the Nation toolbar for your browser. YMMV, but my experience with most toolbars is that they are one-step removed from viruses. Since I own a PC repair/support company, I can tell you that most of the slow computers that we see have at least one, usually many toolbars in their browser - and sometimes that's all they have wrong with them!

Anyway, not downplaying the ezvid program, just a heads-up to not just click Next, next, next through the installation. Pay attention and choose the right options.

Yep, like a lot of programs these days, even those you pay a license for such as Xara Web Designer 9 and Xara Photo & Graphic design 9 will install unwanted baggage (Simplicheck). But unlike v9, the Ezvid installer if very clear about what it's installing and makes no effort to hide it and gives you plenty of opportunity to deselect them from the installer.

It's a jungle out there and we should all be mindful about what we're chosing to download, install and use on our own PCs.
    -----------------
    PS: I'm in the same business Scott, some PCs come in to me which resemble this :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_1%u00255B1%5D.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	96680

Bronto is offline Xara Group Ltd Content Producer Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeedale View Post
    Does anybody know what specific tools did Xara use to create their video tutorials? They are wonderful and I'd like to create similar Xara tutorials to share.
    1. What program was used to capture the screens with cursor movement and menu selections?
    2. What program was used to record the audio, and then sync it with the screen movements?

Thanks, everyone.
    Hi there Zeedale,

We use Camtasia for the screen and mouse capture, and for the audio we use Audacity with a USB mic. Then the audio and video are edited in Camtasia.

Hope that answers your question!