Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Chinese Text DPx

Hi folks:

In DPx I am trying to use (paste in) some chinese text and for the life of me, I can;r figure out how to get it to work. Resultsm, depening on what font I use, are question marks sometimes mixed with apparent chinese characters.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve.

Default Re: Chinese Text DPx

Xara does not support characters that read from right to left. Question marks will often appear in place of missing characters.

As I understand it from Xara's product development persons, creating support for right to left reading characters is too major a programming challenge for their limited amount of programmers.

Are you doing the traditional top to bottom, right to left? Or, the more modern left to right, top to bottom layout? What font are you using? What is the source of the Chinese text?

Mike

Steve, you can insert any text language so long as the font that you have selected supports those characters. I'd recommend choosing Arial or Tahoma as these seem to provide good support for non-Latin characters.

It does not matter whether the language you're pasting is right to left, or left to right, it will always paste left to right as that is all Xara Designer currently supports. Right to left support is unrelated to the original question of missing characters.

Yes, but there is a problem with say pasting text from this page:
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dport...iangsheng.html

Into Xara (but not Word). Which is why I asked about the source. One can paste various sources into Word or LibreOffice, then copy and paste into XDP with some post-pasting clean-up required. This is because Xara adds characters. Really.

Arial will not work. I am using MS Mincho in the screen shot from XDP. MS Gothic works also.

As to whether it matters on text direction. Of course it does. As does the type of job this is, but I failed to ask. For instance, if this is signage, one-off or mixed language, or whether it is single language, on-going work all matters.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000342.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	96602