Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer Pro X - Gradient Mesh?

Greeting,
    Is there a way to do a gradient mesh in XDP like in Adobe illustrator?

Cheers

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X - Gradient Mesh?

Nope. But that doesn't mean there's no other ways to achieve the same smooth result in Xara, with more or less work depending on the complexity of the gradient.

Probably the only thing that would come close is the Four Color Fill, (Fill Tool > Fill Type drop down list).

You could experiment with a series of these and see if you can get what you are looking for.

Or as MEB points out, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

The four color fill works in so far as it goes. And I use it a good bit. But there isn't anyway to get what can be done with illustraror's gradient mesh. Cannot even get close with an incredible amount of futzing around. That said, I find Illy's gradient mesh most useful for life-like illustrations which is something I don't do hardly ever.

Ron's vehicle illustrations would benefit, as well as the aircraft illustrations I see here. If I had it available in XDP, I would probably use it more.

Mike

I really like the way Illy uses nodes to manipulate the colors on the gradient mesh. The level of detail that can be achieve for illustration work is amazing.
    This would be a good request for the XDP 9 wish list.

Unless it appears in 9 in x number of weeks, it would be something for ver 10...

I believe it can be found in the dear xara forum already. But also take a look at the cars Ron does. That would he a good example of another means. I haven't gone and looked but he just posted a chrome bumper tutorial. Off to look...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Unless it appears in 9 in x number of weeks, it would be something for ver 10...
    Hi Mike,
    Is version 9 being released soon? Is that what you mean?

William

Yep. New version of XDP will be released "soon." Which means when it is ready. But I would suspect within a month.

That's exciting news!

William I use Illy on a regular basis and never really felt the need to use it the Gradient Mesh regularly as I feel it is too unwieldy. Surely it is easier to use transparencies to get the same effect or a quick blend. I did some tuts on it but felt since gradient stroke, the blob brush and using transparencies was much quicker way of achieving the same results. You will find when you get into Pro properly and get the hang of some of the colour functions along with transparency and feathering you will not miss the Mesh Tool at all. Mind you a few members here are calling for this tool.
    Design is thinking made visual.