Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

hi Deb,

I think you are getting the hang of things. the computer needs a connect the "dots" type of reference. A bitmap drawing program will not create the "dots". The only programs that create these "dots" are called vector drawing programs.

Webster, Xara X1, Ilustrator, Draw are all vector drawing programs. Webster should come with the CD version of X3D5.

I like to think of webster as the retarded brother of the genius, Xara X. It can do many of the same things, just stunted in the output department.

What Mike and Egg did was to create a connect the dots of the gemstones, then apply the bitmap over the created 3d...
    John/DOT

An example.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And this too!!
    This is a good start and I am excited about working on more ideas for my website.
    I am a novice at this so please take that into account http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thanks again.
    Deb.

P.s John, you secret is safe with me http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hmmm... I'm still working on this , it isn't going to be anytime soon, but this is my progress so far on the XaraX side of things. I am still trying to understand the shapes involved, so the edges of the facets are picked out in black. I have also learned some technical terms, too, like crown, pavilion, girdle, table, etc. Isn't the Internet wonderful? I have no idea how strongly coloured diamonds can be, but this was fun to play with.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diamond1.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	12854  

Grrrrr I can't wait to get that Cd.
    Thank you both so much for responding that quickly.
    I am very thankful for all your help.
    You guys are the "gods" of this place http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Looks Good Deb,

Watch the size of the animated Gifs. Those files can become totally huge in no time. The smaller the size of the graphics the happier your dialup customers will be.

Have you tried a rocking motion, instead of a complete revolve? A complete revolve could almost be as bad as a Blinking one.
    John/DOT

Hi Deb,

The answer would depend on what you want to accomplish. If you want to use Xara3D to create a 3D image, you would need XaraX or Webster and then draw the shapes to import into Xara3D. You could use another vector drawing program and save the shapes as wmf or emf, but unless you already own one of those HIGH prices programs it's not worth spending the money.

If you are wanting to use another 3D program, you would need to learn how to model the 3D shapes in the 3D program.

Of the two, using XaraX or Webster (which comes with Xara3D5) to draw the shapes; is the easiest. Simply import the image you want to use. Create a new layer and use the Shape Editor, Freehand Tool, or Pen Tool to draw the shapes. It's similar to using tracing paper and a pencil to draw shapes from a photo.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Deb,

In X3D, when you select "Open", go to the button folder and choose the "Ball x 1.x3d" file. It's probably what you're looking for. Try that out and see.

As you will notice, X3D has an unusual effect with the texture ("jumps" at the end of the rotation). Play around with it and see if you can maybe rotate the "pearls" in such a way that the texture shift isn't as pronounced.

Art

Hi Art,

There are lots of things in Xara3D I've never explored. Thanks for the info about the Ball x 1.x3d.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I can see some amazing progress going on here. The Diamonds are looking gorgeous!
    I have learnt that trying to make objects "transparent" is not possible so a white diamond would be extremely difficult to achieve. Fortunately diamonds come in many colours such as yellow, pink, champagne, cognac etc. Experimenting with lighting could be the key. I wasnt able to open John's file so I couldn't see his diamond. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
    Moving on to my next question. Is it possible to make a perfect sphere? (orb, circle)? Guess where this is leading http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif Pearls!! If I can make a 3d circle, I can make a string of pearls.
    What are your thoughts?
    Regards,
    Deb.