Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Okay bill, Mike and Egg...

here is my measly contribution. A diamond shape, with multi-colored facets...

I think Steve did a pretty good looking diamond somewhere in the xone...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John/DOT

John, thanks for the xar. I think when I saw the one Steve posted is when I gave up http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

This is the last diamond drawing I did. The .xar file is dated 5/8/2001 on the CD I saved it to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diamond.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	1606  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Lets see what we can do with this then. The close up looks weird but the distance shot looks way cool.
    John/DOT

Hmmm... I'm still working on this , it isn't going to be anytime soon, but this is my progress so far on the XaraX side of things. I am still trying to understand the shapes involved, so the edges of the facets are picked out in black. I have also learned some technical terms, too, like crown, pavilion, girdle, table, etc. Isn't the Internet wonderful? I have no idea how strongly coloured diamonds can be, but this was fun to play with.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diamond1.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	12854  

Mike,

Looks cool. I read or heard somewhere that every diamond has a base color, from grey (the cheapest) to white (the most expensive) I would suggest a linear raindow/alt rainbow fill on each facet. Starting at the base color, for instance, a pale pink or blue, to white.

would you mind sharing your .xar diamond?
    John/DOT

Hi John,
    no problem, not all the facets are separate shapes, though. I did what you suggested already with the lower facets on the pavilion, in the lower layer, with the upper layer (the crown) more of a transparent, 3-colour fill washed across the crown.
    Anyway, here it is to play with. It is called diamond mine http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif , to distinguish it from your own one, John.
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can see some amazing progress going on here. The Diamonds are looking gorgeous!
    I have learnt that trying to make objects "transparent" is not possible so a white diamond would be extremely difficult to achieve. Fortunately diamonds come in many colours such as yellow, pink, champagne, cognac etc. Experimenting with lighting could be the key. I wasnt able to open John's file so I couldn't see his diamond. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
    Moving on to my next question. Is it possible to make a perfect sphere? (orb, circle)? Guess where this is leading http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif Pearls!! If I can make a 3d circle, I can make a string of pearls.
    What are your thoughts?
    Regards,
    Deb.

Deb,

In X3D, when you select "Open", go to the button folder and choose the "Ball x 1.x3d" file. It's probably what you're looking for. Try that out and see.

As you will notice, X3D has an unusual effect with the texture ("jumps" at the end of the rotation). Play around with it and see if you can maybe rotate the "pearls" in such a way that the texture shift isn't as pronounced.

Art

Hi Art,

There are lots of things in Xara3D I've never explored. Thanks for the info about the Ball x 1.x3d.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi All,

Thanks Mike for the diamond. I will treasure it forever... I hope this does not mean anything...

We should bug Antony to put a link up for a trail version of webster, that people can download when they register X3d5.

Pearls are a piece of cake in XaraX. Draw 1, duplicate it, create a blend, adjust along a curve.... see pretty picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John/DOT