Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I would like to make 3d images out of pitures. Could someone please tell me exactly what I need to do this. And what programs I might need.
    Thank you.

I would like to make 3d images out of pitures. Could someone please tell me exactly what I need to do this. And what programs I might need.
    Thank you.

Hi Deb,

The answer would depend on what you want to accomplish. If you want to use Xara3D to create a 3D image, you would need XaraX or Webster and then draw the shapes to import into Xara3D. You could use another vector drawing program and save the shapes as wmf or emf, but unless you already own one of those HIGH prices programs it's not worth spending the money.

If you are wanting to use another 3D program, you would need to learn how to model the 3D shapes in the 3D program.

Of the two, using XaraX or Webster (which comes with Xara3D5) to draw the shapes; is the easiest. Simply import the image you want to use. Create a new layer and use the Shape Editor, Freehand Tool, or Pen Tool to draw the shapes. It's similar to using tracing paper and a pencil to draw shapes from a photo.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you for your help.
    I purchased Xara3d5 yesterday and believe I need to wait for another program that comes with x3d5.
    So what i am trying to do is this: I have pictures of gemstones and jewellery that I have taken and would like to make them into 3d.
    Is this possible?
    I also have PaintShop Pro 7.
    It all seems a little confusing to me right now, but im sure with practice and help and advice, I can get there http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Thank again for your help.
    Deb.

Hi Deb and Welcome.
    The short answer to your question is NO.
    As Bill points out above, Xara3D needs to have shapes imported to create a 3d effect. Photographs are just rectangles and will not benefit from Xara3D.
    HOWEVER, you can create the shapes you require XaraX or Webster, import them into Xara3D, and apply the photograph (or part of the photograph) as a texture to that shape.
    Xara3D is basically a very easy program for producing 3D Text effects. Using it for anything else is pushing the boundries of the program beyond what it was designed for, but the results can be excellent.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

An example.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg.
    Excellent example. After I saw yours, I tried more facets and differently angled bevels on mine, but I think it needs a proper gemcutter's eye. It certainly doesn't look like any gem I ever saw!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexgem_cropped.gif 
Views:	411 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	14207  

Hi Egg!
    So you tell me that I cant produce 3d pictures using x3d5 unless I have Webster. OR I cant do it full stop?
    I see you did an excellent job on yours. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    This is what I want to achieve.
    So is it yes you can do it (conditional)? or no you cant do it?
    Thanks for your help and I will check back soon. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Deb.

Hi Deb
    Yes you can do it. Conditional.
    What you can't do (or expect) is to import a photograph of, say, a bear, and create a 3D bear out of it. No program can or will ever be able to do that.
    Main Point: You can't just import a photograph and create a 3D version of it. (To the computer a photograph is just a meaningless matrix of different coloured dots. It has no conception of wether it's a picture of a dog or a moutain. Only you, the viewer has this perception)

Maybe the best way to approach this is for you to let us know what your trying to achieve. Just sketch an example, as rough as you want, and scan it, then post it.

Then we will be able to say if it can be reproduced in Xara3D. Not everything can, but as you can see from Mikes example a lot is possible.

On the point re Webster: I believe a trial version is included on the Xara3D CD, so we should be able to work a way through this.

Egg
    Egg

Hi Mike
    Never thought of creating a gem stone before either, but it's a fun exercise. Fancy adding the ring? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    Egg
    Egg