Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

pgd6 a brand new day for enterprise

I am delighted to report that P&GD 9 runs well (without ANY tool menu selection glitches) under Ubuntu Linux (12.10 long term support) via WINE 1.5.31.
    If you want to leverage your product on linux operating systems, consider partnering with Valve to sell the application through Steam.

This brings monumentus joy to me because while I feel Inkscape and GIMP have the edge for the savvy web designer CMYK colour space is severly under-supported on linux and that is a kick in the backside if you seriously want to get anything into print.

I've had a quick scout around the features (I've not been a true Xara user since P&GD6) and feel the warmth welling up in my heart. Maybe it is time to upgrade. I was SO much faster in my productivity with Xara than I am with Inkscape, mainly becasue I grew up playing with Artworks on the Acorn Achemedies.

If anything is lacking it is SVG support. I know I've bleated about this before and keeping up with the W3C standards is a pain, but really, pretty much all the web browsers have got their act together on this now.

Perhaps it is time to admit that Inkscape is no commecial threat to P&GD and that there is an opportunity to work with the open source community by nailing an export to Inkscape SVG filter.

There are some really exciting things happening with SVG graphics check out d3js.org

As an asside, I find that Xara Lite that is floating around the linux multiverse to be very glitchy to the point of unusability.

In summary then; Dear Xara, P&GD9 works great in linux under wine, please consider buidling an SVG export filter and selling your fine product to us via Steam.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: a brand new day for enterprise

Designer Pro X can import and export SVG files, and P&GD9 can export them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

there already are import/export SVG filters in XPGD9 - although it's possible these are not working under WINE

I think I'm right in saying the CMYK features in PGD9 are very basic - be interesting to see if version 9 of designer pro works well on linux

xara lite is a discontinued project

Edit - Frances we cross posted - PGD9 will import SVG too, I just checked
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Ok thanks, I have a trial version of P&GD (holding out for DP) and SVG wasn't showing in the list of import types in the help files, but you are right I just tried it and it works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

yeh I'm only trialing PGD - svg is right down near the bottom of the import drop down box
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

its pretty much right down near the bottom of everybodys priorities too i reckon
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I have had a few problems recently with the svg export with straying letters which haven't been turned to objects. It's just a heads up and only for info so if you are using text convert to shapes before exporting.
    Design is thinking made visual.