Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Illustrator - Joining two rectangle with a line in between

I am trying to join two shapes (figure - a) in Illustrator, And I want the effect should be like this (figure - b). I tried Unite option in Pathfinder, but that makes a big rectangle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	96294

Please note: after joining I want one middle cut inside the rectangle.

Any idea?

Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Illustrator - Joining two rectangle with a line in between

I don't know the ultimate purpose and so the below may not apply.

Abut the two squares. Select both. Make a compound path of the two squares from the Object menu (ctrl + 8).

Take care, Mike
    IP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.46.27 AM.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	96302

I wanted to make a logo looking like figure A, in doing so, I had to draw 3 triangle (figure B) and move them as close as possible and adjust them.

I could have drawn the outline of the shape of my logo and used line tool. But I want to shad those three segments in different colors. I could not shade three parts unless they have separators in between.

Is there any way in Illustrator to make those triangle and then join them together so in between lines are fixed?

I tried making compound path in object menu, but direct selection tool still can separate them
    IP

I just drew half a dozen lines with the pen tool then used the Live Paint tool (K) to fill in the parts that overlapped.
    This may be the way to approach what you want to do.
    Bob.
    EDIT: I then drew a shape over the parts I wanted and then selected everything and in the Object Menu chose Clipping Mask> Make to hide the unwanted line parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	live paint.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	96307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip.png 
Views:	317 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	96308  

Last edited by iamtheblues; 27 May 2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Why are you trying to complicate things?
    1. Just use the Pen Tool and draw the 3 shapes. If you worried about the lines at the mitre join just go to Outline (ctrl+Y) and then you will be able to make sure that the line converge on top of each other.
    2. If you are working from a full shape remember you have the Scissor Tool and you could break apart at the join and then use the Pen Tool to join up the broken areas.

To use Illustrator properly you must learn to use the Pen Tool it is a must. Sorry if I have not answered your question but it seems to me so simple.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP