Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I make a shape that sees through an underlying layer?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I am an amateur.

Layer 1: I have a bitmap in the background.

Layer 2: I then put a black shape over the entire image and set its opacity to 140%, This grays out the underlying background image.

Layer 3: Is it possible now to create a shape like for example a rectangle, which I can move around and resize and change the properties of (for example adjusting the rounding on the corners), which sees through the underlying layer (layer 2)?

I have worked out that I could create a new shape on layer 2 and do "subtract shape" to do the cutting out, but this is not as flexible because that cutout is now committed and I can't adjust it.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Default Re: How do I make a shape that sees through an underlying layer?

DPX layers are not like Photoshop layers.
    You can do all of the above on one DPX layer as objects on that layer create their own stacking order (object layers).

Bitmap editing is non-destructive in DPX, so your cut out bitmap can still be adjusted via the fill tool (for example).
    The Cutout shape can be adjusted via the shape tool and the bounds via the photo cliptool, this is because in DPX you are always working with bitmap fills inside vector shapes.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the object that makes the hole as editable as possible then you can use an opacity mask...

Gerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello

Forgive me but I'm not sure I understand. Perhaps I should explain more clearly.

Here is the outcome I am aiming for.

Original image:
    http://imgur.com/0Agmv2U

Goal:
    http://imgur.com/6T8ACL0

I want the rectangle in the goal image to be a shape I can move around and change the properties of.

Hope that explains better what I am trying to do.

Okay great thanks this is exactly what I was after.

To summarise, I start by loading a bitmap. I then create a gray rectangle covering the entire bitmap. I then put a white rectangle on top - this becomes the "window" that sees through to the bitmap. I then select all three objects, the bitmap and both the shapes, then select "arrange, apply opactiy mask". Perfect! I can now see through the grayed out area to my bitmap. I can then use ctrl alt select to select and modify the shape that forms the window into the background image.

thanks!

Ugh. Sorry for all the beginner questions.

When I save your sample as a PNG it works fine. The PNG includes the opacity mask.

When I save my image, what is saved is the original underlying bitmap, without the opacity mask shapes being applied.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

make sure you have the whole opacity mask group selected, and not just part of it as you might if you have used ctrl+ to select

by default xara exports what is selected only
    Last edited by handrawn; 26 May 2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...