Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deblur?

Default Re: Deblur?

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I could see a use for it. I often have clients supply me with photos that aren't very good .
    If any photo is blurred to such a degree where Xara's tools cannot restore clarity to an acceptable level for web or print, then (my view is that) they are simply unusable and ought to be rejected.
    I know some clients watch too much CSI and think we can 'Enhance-enhance' - but it's pure fiction

Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 May 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added quoted post

Who said I was talking about clients? I'm not a photographer or graphic designer. I use Xara for my own purposes. Or are non-professionals not allowed to use Xara or have their own needs and purposes for using it?

Sorry, fuss - you posted while I was posting.

I was responding to Frances

I'm not convinced by this image enhancement software either. As an experiment I took an image of a meercat off the web, added a blur in Xara, saved it, ran it through DeBlur and the image was not greatly better than if I applied a 100% sharpen to the original blurred image within Xara.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meerca_compilationt.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	96271  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good one Egg, case closed !

It would seem the type of blurring this software compensates for is motion blur, not a gaussian style general blur, so I don't think it's surprising this test wouldn't improve things much. I'm not at my production computer, so I can't test it myself to see if things are different with different style blurs.

Obviously, this is a tricky thing to pull off: Adobe demoed something similar in 2011 that has yet to find it's way into Photoshop. I agree the 'CSI' style fixing shown on the site is not particularly useful for most of us. But if I had something that could fix slight blurriness caused by hand shake when taking photos with slower shutter speeds in less than ideal light, without the artifacts associated with unsharp mask, well that would be beyond awesome.

@ fuss - All I am saying is you are looking to a product, albeit what appears an excellent product, to compensate for really bad photography. And that to me is compounding a problem, not solving it.

One of the great things about Xara products is they are good sets of tools for users of all levels. And most Xara product users are not professional designers. I would guess the majority are non-professional users. And there is something for everybody.

If you need good photography, and are not a photographer, then there is an abundance of inexpensive stock photography and graphics you can use.

This is just silly. What does stock photography have to do with improving my DIY headshot? I like the tool. For my purposes, it's useful, it has more controls, and I'm very pleased with the results. It's really only the user's opinion that matters.

At any rate, I can see that Xara does not have a feature that can achieve the same results as SmartDeblur so my original question is answered.

I've no axe to grind re this software and perhaps a deliberate blurred photo doesn't do the software justice. So let's try a real world experiment. I attach a really crap photo a friends grandaughter posted on FaceBook. Show me an improvement matching their screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deblur.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	96319  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Point well made sledger with the vid. Those famous words you hear in all TV dramas, Enhance, zoom If only it was true in the real world to the degree they depict in these shows.

Stygg