Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deblur?

Default Deblur?

I came across a little utility software called SmartDeblur recently and it is amazing. Before purchasing it, I wanted to find out if my Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 2013 has some kind of slick/automated image deblurring function/command or capability. Anyone know?

Default Re: Deblur?

The FX Tool (formerly the Live Effects Tool) has a sharpen filter, Unsharp Mask.

I would try this out first, and see if it does the trick.

There is also a Blur/Sharpen slider in the Photo Tool > Enhance Infobar that can sharpen an image.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi fuss, Xara has nothing quite like Smartdeblur. I tried a couple of combinations of different built in filters and effects including sharpen, Unsharp Mask, etc and haven't been able to get as good results as SD shows on their website.

I wish that Xara would look at something like this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I agree, Angelize! I think it would be brilliant if Xara had that built into their program, like they do with the magic eraser. I love Xara already and it would make it even more awesome as my go-to tool.

I'm not as Xpert as many of the TG memebers, and I couldn't get anything like the results that SmartDeblur seems to show.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I looked at that website and the before and after is very impressive.

That said, how do you plan to use a filter like this? Unless you have a job working for the police enhancing poor quality images to bring out detail, I don't see the need for this degree of sharpening.

And even in the example on the Smart Deblur website, would the after result be good enough for anything, except as I mentioned.

Most smart phones, not to mention digital cameras take very clean and sharp photos.

Unless I am missing something here, and it would not be the first time, I don't see the need for this degree of sharpening. Unless you like parlor tricks and like to amuse people with how you can take aunt Mildred's blurred snapshot and turn it into a less blurred snapshot.

@Gary: Agreed

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I could see a use for it. I often have clients supply me with photos that aren't very good .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I guess the need is for the beholder to decide. Like me, for example, I'm just little ol' business owner (nothing to do with design or photography) on a shoestring budget. One day I plan to hire a professional photographer to take some professional business photos. In the meantime, I have taken some great headshots/poses just using my webcam. However, my webcam is not a professional camera and there is a good deal of blurriness. There are two headshots I took of myself that I really love and use in my marketing, and I put these both through Smart Deblur and the results were absolutely amazing. 99% improvement. For $39, I'm totally going to buy the program as it's well worth the results, even just for this small, seemingly inconsequential purpose (though, it's not inconsequential to me). I think if asked, users would come up with all kinds of scenarios that Xara can't imagine would be useful (but is to users), and that would make it well worth Xara's while to include something like this. (Maybe partner with SmartDeblur, see if they can include it as a plugin, or buy the company even? Just a suggestion).

I think it's important to remember, not everyone using Xara is using it because they are professional photographers or graphic designers.

I use Xara to make my own graphics and clean up my own photos.