Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: compression

any one knows any good tips on reducing the file size.
    IP

any one knows any good tips on reducing the file size.
    IP

Don't have too many objects tweening at once. Not only will this make your movie more difficult for a computer to process, it does add KBs to the movie.

Make good use of symbols (for me, everything is a symbol unless I need to shape tween).

Do not use too many gradient colors. While it might not add too much to the file size, it can make it more difficult for a computer to process.

Use "streaming" sound when you can. While this will usually add size to the movie, it will still load faster.

Don't use scenes. This is a rule that I do not always follow because it doesn't make too big of a difference but the use of "scenes" will add a little file size to the movie.

Don't use "trace bitmap" on really detailed photographs/pictures. The vector image can actually be larger than the JPG, BITMAP, GIF, etc.

Hope these few tips help,
    IP

Stinger, thanks for your tips. They were great. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have another question.
    is it any different if in terms of file size if we chose to import the same image into flash as BMP or a JPG?

[This message was edited by Architazz on April 25, 2001 at 08:50 AM.]
    IP

When I said "bitmap" in the earlier reply, I was really refering to all "bitmapped" (pixel) images and not necessarily an actual BITMAP. A true bitmap will produce a larger file size. Flash compresses by percentage and with bitmaps being larger when they are imported, they do tend to increase file size. Whenever I hae a bitmap and want to use the image in Flash, I usually open it with Photoshop and export it as a JPG with the compression level set between 60-80. This will hold most of the quality while reducing the file size of the image considerably. I'm sure you already know these things but I wanted to say that in case you don't.

Best of luck,
    IP