Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot open ai files, plugin does not support the file

hi,

yesterday i have closed an ai.file made in illustrator cs6 and today i tried to reopen it but it won't open. I get the error message:
    'Reading of file failed because the plugin does not support the file'.
    I have no idea what this means or which plugin it's talking about. I do not recall installing a plugin for that matter.
    I desperately need the file, i cannot afford to recreate it over again.
    It will let me open all other ai.files, just not that one.
    I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.2.

Thx

B
    IP

Default Re: Cannot open ai files, plugin does not support the file

How large is the file, if it is under 500k you could upload here onto TG. I bet it will be much lager than that so if you want me to try and open it you will need to upload it some where and then post the link. As you are a new member and can't send personal messages (No PMs). You could try another programme to change it to a PDF, if you have Acro Pro that would do it or some other programme that would allow you to print to file. The gets around any plugin but you may find it is a pig to edit as areas might be rendered as a bitmap depending on your drawing.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

i tried to save it as pdf an open it in illustator but i get the same message.
    I found that when later i tried to place an image (that's also in the 'damaged' file) in another ai file, it gave me the same message, so maybe it might be that image's problem, but it's a simple png so i don't see the problem.

here's the file:
    http://www.filedropper.com/onepager04

hope you can help!

thx

B
    IP

B,

Here's a link to a copy. There are many missing linked images. Good news is one of those may be the offending image (if that is the problem). But otherwise it opened fine.

If you would like one of us to try with the missing files, a person in the Adobe AI forum just released a script to collect all linked resources and a copy of the AI file. This may not help in this specific case if you cannot open it, but for the future it would be good to have all linked resources.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1217484?tstart=0

And the link to dropbox for your file is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ger_04_copy.ai

Take care, Mike
    IP

BTW, if you cannot open the above file, it is possible the document is corrupt. But that also means that AI's preferences could be corrupt and only affecting this one file. If all else fails, try resetting your preferences by holding down ctrl+alt+shift (or the Mac equivalent keys) and starting AI.

But only do this as a last resort.

Take care, Mike
    IP

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the effort, i appreciate it. However, i cannot access the file though, i get a 404 error message (in any browser).
    Would you find a way to upload it to another location?

I thought it might have had something to do with linked images as i found the same problem afterwards when i wanted to import one of those images in another file. I just don't understand what the errormessage is pointing to: which plugin doesn't support the file?
    Thank you for pointing me to the script as well. I am using Adobe Creative Cloud now so i do have access to the Package Command, but that doesn't include the images somehow. I'll get into that myself.

Thx for the help,
    B
    IP

IP

Hi There. I just encountered the same message using Adobe CC and thought all was lost. I had placed a .png file within illustrator as a template to work from to create my lotus flower. After working on it for several hours and saving all along I closed the file. Later when I tried to open the file I received that same message. Then I realized that the .png file linked to my illustrator file was the one causing the problem. I deleted the linked file from the folder illustrator was referencing. When I tried to open the illustrator file again I got the dialog box that said missing links, replace or ignore. I chose replace and used a .psd file and voila, it opened, and all my work was fine. Hope that helps. If you're not sure which links are causing the problem, try opening each one in photoshop to see which one is giving you a problem. That's how I discovered the corrupted linked file.

Lisa
    IP