Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Red face pdf exports with errors, never done this before..

Hi guys, I'm trying to export two sides of an A4 flyer artwork and everytime i try to export as a pdf, i get the pdf created but with elements missing and the error from Adobe Reader says 'This pdf has errors... please contact the pdf author' etc. I've tweaked and changed so many settings but this has got me stumped. I use XX5 and have attached both .xar documents. I have converted all the text to editable shapes.

I would appreciate if somebody could export these as pdfs (PDF/X-1a: 2001 (ISO 15930-1) with 100% jpeg quality.

Page is already set with the 3mm bleed. I use XEP5.

Thanks, would be very grateful as I have a print deadline I am already way past.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com

Default Re: pdf exports with errors, never done this before..

What product are you using? You don't list any on your Profile so it's hard to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What product are you using? You don't list any on your Profile so it's hard to help you.
    I use XX5...
    Mike

I don't get the errors in XPD8, but do get font substitution in folded1a.xar, so perhaps the error is a font not being embeddable.

The 5 stars in each xar file do not output correctly unless I convert them to a 300 dpi png image and delete the original 5 stars.

This brochure originated as a PDF, correct? Overly complex grouping and clipping also may have something to do with the issue you are facing.

If I convert the 5 stars to the PNG image I mention and convert the current live text to curves, there are no errors.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I don't get the errors in XPD8, but do get font substitution in folded1a.xar, so perhaps the error is a font not being embeddable.

The 5 stars in each xar file do not output correctly unless I convert them to a 300 dpi png image and delete the original 5 stars.

This brochure originated as a PDF, correct? Overly complex grouping and clipping also may have something to do with the issue you are facing.

If I convert the 5 stars to the PNG image I mention and convert the current live text to curves, there are no errors.

Mike
    Mike, I've also tried to create bitmap copies of the 5 stars, I've ungrouped everything and still get the same errors. It's a wierd one because just 10 minutes ago I've exported more complex artwork without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post

Mike
    not at all Mike, it's 100% designed using XXP5 starting from a blank page!

GOT IT! It was them bloody stars, for something so small they were each made up of about 100 vector elements each. I created bitmap copies, deleted the vector stars, ungrouped everything and removed all clip views and it's exported fine on both files. Thanks anyways, guys! Now, to sweet-talk this printer...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm late coming to this thread, but I do recall that there have been upgrades to the pdf filter since version 5, and I also recall having similar issues in about version 5 with pdf export. When Pdf export failed I started a process of elimination right away and often it would be something like your stars.

My husband and I publish a small weekly publication that has copy and advertisements. The whole thing is done in Designer Pro and what we do is to create the ads in separate documents, each ad has it's own .xar file and this is the working file. Once the ad has been proofed and approved we Export a png copy at 300dpi this is what goes on the page. These are kept in a separate folder and I have this folder added to the designs gallery so we can easily keep it updated and on final production the ads are just dropped into the page. This way the main document doesn't get too complex and we don't have to worry about fonts that aren't embeddable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Herbie -- besides converting strange shapes to bitmaps, you'll want to really remember Mike's tip to 'convert the current live text to curves'.

Years ago, I went nuts trying to get a character from the Symbol font to appear the same on my printer's Mac, as on my PC. Same font? Well, yes... but not exactly. Solution was to select all the text, convert it to curves, end of problem. In XDP and P&GD, select the text with the Selector tool, then do Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes. Illustrator has a similar command. This will also help if you are using a font that can't be embedded into the PDF. 'Convert to curves' goes right around that problem.
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Quote Originally Posted by jon404 View Post
    Herbie -- besides converting strange shapes to bitmaps, you'll want to really remember Mike's tip to 'convert the current live text to curves'.

Years ago, I went nuts trying to get a character from the Symbol font to appear the same on my printer's Mac, as on my PC. Same font? Well, yes... but not exactly. Solution was to select all the text, convert it to curves, end of problem. In XDP and P&GD, select the text with the Selector tool, then do Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes. Illustrator has a similar command. This will also help if you are using a font that can't be embedded into the PDF. 'Convert to curves' goes right around that problem.
    Thanks Jon, usually I go into 'Advanced Settings' and select 'Convert text to shapes' (or whatever exactly it was) and it's never been a problem for years, I do a LOT of print and this one got me this time, but yes, the process of elimination worked great.