Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Design a Logo for XaRT

I don't think rich, photorealistic renderings will ever go completely out of style, mindseye, but as far as UIs go, "skeuomorphic" is a trend, not a movement, and it's being supplanted by "the flat look", specifically Microsoft Windows 8 Metro look. Even Apple is "getting it", and moving away from literal paintings of iconic representations.

Skeomorphic at top

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat icons.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	96192

Flat at bottom

This sort of treatment historically has been for international signs, like No Smoking, and Men's Room, not to editorialize too much!

Which doesn't mean that We have to go with the flow. On the contrary: Microsoft has encountered so much blowback over version 8 that they issuing version 8.1 later this year and 8 adopters get a free upgrade.

I think we just really need to decide what art we are able to create is the easiest read in the UI: simpler is sometimes better, but not always. And a visually rich UI is value-added as far as customer perception goes. Look at Painter's old UI compared to PaintShop Pro, to compare two Corel products.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

This is just a different "treatment" of Barbara's design concept: a blueprint motif.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaRT-schematic.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	96198

And if you really, really, really, really HATE blue, I guess on dark grey it could look like a chalkboard.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like the Gear interface. I took Barbara's file and gave it a grungy metal look. All the pieces and parts and a couple of really nice textures as well came from the scrapbook section of the DPX designs gallery. I modified them a bit to fit Barbara's basic idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xart_gearinterface.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	96201  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

I like what you did.

I especially like the current tab displaying in a metal nameplate or gauge window, the addition of the screw heads.

I didn't texture the gear, especially the center panel because I thought it would make the text hard to read, but your treatment separates beautifully.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com
    IP

Are we settled on the Wheel, or is it worth considering a different look?

Obviously, the colours can be changed to suit.

Name:	xart ui.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	96204  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Personally, I really like Rik's design. A good, clean, clear UI. And more importantly is scalable if new options are needed in the future, the UI design doesn't need re-vamping.

Barbara's design bought back memories of Webstyle 4 for me with the layout of the sections (except the editing options in the middle). Nice design and some good designs it's inspired Gary (I like the white on blue design) and Francis

As this project is in a fledging state I think that getting the basic functionality of the program figured out is the first step, and even just the functionality implemented for the first release. That will give us an indication of the specific requirements of the UI (eg how much space is needed for each section, how many sections etc). Also, the UI is largely superficial - it's a skin that's applied. Much like changing your CSS on a website (OK, may be it's a bit more work, but you get the idea).
    IP

If all this does is serve as a reinforcement that the tg community is behind the project and behind Grace, I feel it was an effort worth expending.

Yes, Pete is dead-on: skinning is trivial compared to the coding, but it is nice to see both cooperative and independent ideas being brought up.

Food for thought!

-g
    IP

I really like this look and I think it is quite doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Are we settled on the Wheel, or is it worth considering a different look?

Obviously, the colours can be changed to suit.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've played around with Rik's basic design with different colours. I came up with a set of harmonious colours using red, a soft warm grey and some darker greys. I also used black and white text in some areas.

Name:	xartui.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	96398  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP