Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XARA preventing users to save .xar files into designs gallery?

Hi,

Apparently, one can only import static graphics into the designs gallery, and not custom widgets with the .xar extension.

Why this limitation ?

Also, apparently, there is no way for the user to build its own widgets, with for example, the ability to edit the widgets properties into a new tab, like pre-built xara widgets, is it right ?

Or am I missing some undocumented options or extensions reserved for custom users widgets ?

Thanks for the informations on this topic.

Erratum: It is possible. (about importing .xar and .web files).

The Folder dialog for importing designs was just a bit unclear.
    Last edited by ab29; 16 May 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: erratum

Default Re: XARA preventing users to save .xar files into designs gallery?

It is difficult to search the forum:
    Please do something for the captcha, as actually here is the question:

"Please type in the next to last word in this sentence?"

This is not understandable and therefore one can not use the search function of the forum.

I was trying to search about widget creation.

the captcha question is as easy as they get. The question is easy and straightforward. the next to the last word is "this".

as far as I remember, if you are logged in, there is no captcha to solve.

the search function leaves a lot to be desired. use Google's site search.

mike

Thank you mwenz. If I was more intelligent, I could have found the captcha solution alone, but well... I'm not.

That said, it doesn't tell us how one creates one's own widget in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by ab29 View Post
    ...it doesn't tell us how one creates one's own widget in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium.
    The included widgets (eyecatcher/slideshows etc) are mostly 3rd party creations, not made with Xara software.
    The method to use then include a third party widget into an editable xara document as supplied by Xara is theoretically possible but quite advanced (and undocumented) Creating your own (similar) widget/s is not an advertised feature of the application.

Thank you Sledger for those informations.

There are widgets that, when dropped onto the canvas, open a preview browser for customizing them, like some of the forms widgets, and others, like the "NEW Table widget" which only creates a placeholder into the document.

But, when one clicks on the "edit widget" link, it opens a new document tab for settings, and not the traditional element dialog.

That said I don't see any names that would make this placeholder different from others. Excepted that those placeholders have an "Open widget" into the contextual menu, whereas traditional placeholders only have "Edit widget" option.

So how could one make a placeholder behave like the "NEW Table Widget" placeholder ?

Would there be any undocumented steps explained into the forum, for advanced users who would like to create such custom components/widgets for themselves ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ab29 View Post
    Would there be any undocumented steps explained into the forum, for advanced users who would like to create such custom components/widgets for themselves ?
    ab29,
    Thing is, Xara Web Designer is not a 'Widget maker' - Xara has included many in the designs gallery (and the additional widget packs for sale) as an easy means for people to add cool stuff to their web documents (albeit with somewhat limited editability)
    Web Designer itself lacks the features necessary to 'roll your own' like Xara have..
    For example, the table widget has an array of special names which no-one but Xara know about as like other functions this is 'internal' code.
    The widget documents also include embedded scripts and assets which are exported when you publish, also each widget has special IDs and classes.
    Advanced stuff which has never been discussed on either forum and certainly is not documented anywhere.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	96180

If Xara have a document which discusses how to built a widget, then they haven't to my knowledge released it.
    Perhaps you could email support and ask if they have one available?

Well, it is already possible to make one's own widgets with the help of javascript, but to have the ability to present them nicely would a plus.

That said, the power of web designer is already there for the user, and lies on the double nature of elements: each element can be both and at the same time, a wysiwyg element and a placeholder element, which means one can set up a widget presentation specific to xara webdesigner and as advanced as one can imagine, but which has also the ability to render completly differently onto the browser according to the code one places into it.

The separation between placeholders and visual elements inside xara web designer makes the software very powerful when one knows how to code with HTML/CSS and javascript.

Thanks to the developers for that.

Now, next step would be perhaps the ability to set variables onto the code placeholder which could link some xara web designer properties to the inner code of elements in the placeholders.

Now, next step would be perhaps the ability to set variables onto the code placeholder which could link some xara web designer properties to the inner code of elements in the placeholders.
    I very much doubt that this is the way Xara wishes to progress. This seems to be asking Xara to enter into basic/advanced coding which is counter to their intuitive interface.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host