Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Looking for some great examples

Hello,..I'm torn between purchasing Web Designer 9 Premium and a competitor's product from Serif.
    A few of the requirements that I have is the ability to create extremely attractive drop down menus and pop ups that allow for photos or text to appear when hovering over words or photos throughout the site. I haven't been too excited by what I have seen in the menu examples, BUT I'm wondering if anyone here could either share a link to a great looking menu or confirm that indeed such menus can be created in XWD9 Premium.

Some of the ideas that I have had for a menu would consist of a vertical drop down with a semi transparent background that also allows for 2 levels deep into the menu options.

Also a word that pops up an image or perhaps a detailed paragraph. (with alpha background options)

I will also be wanting to employ a fully customizable slider so that I can have that loop with the Ken Burns effect as an option.

Any links, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for some great examples

Look at http://designm.ag/inspiration/mega-menus/ for ideas.
    All designs like this can be built with Xara and layers, although I use CSS3 for effect equally.

A word to popup a layer is even easier.

Look at jQuery and Cycle for slider effects.

Acorn

Have you looked through the Xara Website Gallery at a range of different users websites (custom and template based designs)

Sub menus can be customised in the Nav Bar Properties dialog by clicking the Menu Styles button, you can change the colours (mouse off and hover over), transparency and other attributes. These can be created with many sub levels as well.

In Web Designer 9 Premium there are also a load of photo widgets you can insert, here's a preview of them

TDolce, why not download the trial and see for yourself before buying?

TDolce, why not download the trial and see for yourself before buying?
    +1

As for downloading the trial:

I may just have to. I really hate doing it because so many times you end up with a crippled app or worse yet, leftover files and items in the registry when uninstalls aren't clean. BUT,...honestly,...this may be the only way to do it. You are probably right.

I will try it. Xara products are pretty solid, so I shouldn't worry too much. I think the Serif WebPlus is probably decent, but since I already know Xara Designer well,...the addition of WDP9 should be an easier transition and shorter learning curve. I just need to be sure that it can handle what I need it to do for my boss.

Xara's trial versions are only limited by *time* (30 days). Nothing is crippled and nothing needs uninstalling if you choose to buy and apply the license.

"I may just have to. I really hate doing it because so many times you end up with a crippled app or worse yet, leftover files and items in the registry when uninstalls aren't clean. "

As with most programs, there are leftovers. Use a reg shot and see what it installs.

I like revo uninstaller for programs that I want to get rid of.

I am starting to try Xara for doing web things. I primarily use it for my vector work etc. but starting to use it for quick site mockups.

I have a menu I want to try in Xara. I will post it when it's ready.

I will say this:

I have been experimenting with a few WYSIWYG editors - Yes, Serif WP, and Muse. Tho they all have differences, If you are familiar with Xara, I myself would stick with it.

Just with the few things I have played with are so fast for me to understand and implement since I am familiar.

It's been said, give it a go.

Hey, for simple functioning sites, and! having someone else do edits... superb.

mindseye.

requirements that I have is the ability to create extremely attractive drop down menus and pop ups that allow for photos or text to appear when hovering over words or photos throughout the site. I haven't been too excited by what I have seen in the menu examples

To be fair, I think that the ability to design attractive drop down menus is probably more about your ability than that of the software. If you haven't been too excited by what you've seen, show us (in non-working form) what you would consider to be attractive or what you plan to do.

As you might have noticed, you're probably more likely to get feedback/encouragement/tips on doing this kind of work on web design here than just about any other place I can think of, but abstract statements and requirements never work as well as concrete examples.

Check out the Xara Web Gallery forum. There are lots of examples there.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11