Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Exclude pages from navigation or publishing

Xara is a fine program, although its lack of some features frustrates me. In the new Xara Web Design 9, is it possible to exclude some pages from navigation and some pages from publishing? Netobjects 13 has both these features. Serif WebPlus let's you exclude pages from navigation.

In Xara Web Design 9, can some pages be excluded from navigation? Can some pages be excluded from publishing?

If the answers are no, is the lack of these features bothersome to users?
    Last edited by JLewis; 15 May 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Exclude pages from navigation or publishing

Don't link to those pages.

If you are using a Navigation Bar, double click on the bar to open the Navigation Bar Properties dialog, select the page you don't want linked, and delete it.

This does not delete the page from your website when you publish, it just removes the link.

Thanks. This should have been obvious to me. On the other hand, I did not see any reference about excluding pages from navigation in "search" or "index" in the help file, or the Xara Design Pro X manual.

I also received the following reply from Xara tech support, which was quick and thorough. I will definitely upgrade as a result of feedback on TalkGraphics and assistance from tech support.

Tech support reply:

You have always been able to exclude pages from the navigation - I assume you mean from the navigation bar.

If you have the Site Nav Bar option ticked in the Nav Bar Properties dialog then when you add a page to your document it will automatically add a new button to the nav bar. You can either manually delete this button each time, and you don't have to include any other links to that page in any other pages, or if you don't want a new button to automatically be added when a page is, then untick that option.

Each time you publish your website, all pages will be published that are in that website document and you cannot exclude pages. Of course if you follow the above and don't link to it, then unless someone knows that page name then visitors won't be able to get to it.

Thanks. I needed that.

These solutions omit the issue of people who also include Prev & Next links that use the dropdowns <Previous page> & <Next page> links.

We discussed this in http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post461559.

Acorn