Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default default page open untitled

When i open a new page 'untitled it defaults to cm in settings for units and A4' as i almost never use this i want it to default open to new to my 960 px template and the units my brain likes. How can i do it?

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: default page open untitled

Open a new page, change units, size, whatever to suit then :-

File >> Save template remembering to check the "Use as default template" option

BTW ... A4 template is for printing - printers work in units of measure, not pixels so use a new "default" page to start with :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Right click on the screen ruler and select Grid and Ruler Options. For Major Spacing: key in 100. For Number of Subdivisions: key in 50. Press Apply or OK.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    ...then :-

File >> Save template remembering to check the "Use as default template" option....
    I can't get my template to stick as the default when opening Xara. Several times, using different names even, I've checked the little "set as Default" checkbox when saving my template, restarted Xara, restarted my computer...nothing. Always starts with the predefined default. I don't see what else I'm missing.

In my search for this issue, this came up as the most relevant....I'm actually using the most current/updated Photo And Graphic Designer 10. (It also has force closed several times since updating from 9 to 10 last week which I'm hoping will be fixed on the next update)

Welcome. Can't say why your having this issue. One thing you might try is "Run as Administrator". Right click over the programs icon and select it from the drop-down.
    Open up a new page, adjust size and unit's to what you require, then go File / Save Template with the Use as Default ticked & name it "My template". Save

Get back if it's still not working correctly.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

One further thing to check is that your saving it in the correct folder. For example mine is:

C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X10\Templates\ENG

Yours of course will be pointing to Xara Photo And Graphic Designer 10 Not Xara Designer Pro X10.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I tried starting Xara with Run As Administrator and saving yet another "default" template with, as always, the "Use as default template" checked but to no avail. They all are saving properly and are listed in the File>New dropdown menu along with all of the others when I want to select a new workspace. And it is saving to the correct folder (Templates>ENG) because it's where I've been going to delete all of my attempts

Thanks for the suggestions. I apologize for posting in this section of the forum but the original post was exactly my issue too and it seems like Web Design and P&G share the same structure. The feature does work with P&G9 so I thought that I wasn't finding a new field in this updated version that was similar here. The couple of extra clicks on startup aren't that big of a deal but it was just something I had gotten used to having. I'm probably just gonna sit on it and if my problem doesn't go away with the next update maybe I'll repost (unfortunately) in the correct P&G forum. Thanks again!

That's very strange. I suggest you put in a ticket to xara.com
    Egg

Thank you Mr. Egg. Xara Support found the solution....I was making my template using Xara's Photo template as my base since it is the closest to what I wanted. But this then gets saved as a Photo File (if you look under Utilities>Options>General the doc type is set to Photo instead of Print and it is not editable). You need to start with a different template, make your changes, and check to make sure that doc type is set to Print. Then save your template making sure to tick the use as default on the Save screen. All is good from there!

Just adding this update in case anyone else, who like me used the wrong starting point, searches for the same issue I was having.

Great support all around

I didn't know that. Thanks for the follow-up.