Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Design a Logo for XaRT

I like the symmetrical'ness of the cog and the X.

I'm attaching the gear logo.. It's a bit cleaner and laid out better than what I posted..

x-gear-source1-mindseye.xar

mindseye.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by chasventre View Post
    I think the logo should be somewhat bold, since we are talking about registry tool. Looking at some of the submissions using the horse as strong and bold, I complimented the horse idea with bold text message.
    Hi chasventre, welcome to TalkGraphics, and thanks for your thoughtful submission.

It would be good if you went back to post #12 and read through some of the criteria for a good logo. You have good ideas: strong, yes, a tool that can edit the Registry without blowing up your computer is indeed a potent tool.

But I'd ask you to take a look at some of the recent submissions, forget about the horse, and just think about how to graphically convey the name, or the tool's purpose, or both, with an economy of shapes. Look at the Apple logo, for example. It's pretty darned striking but beautifully simple and part of the beauty is its simplicity.

We'll need something that works well in one color and different sizes.

I'd love to see a post here that describes what they'd like to do in words, in text, no drawing.

How would that be for a challenge? If you can describe an idea with words, how much harder is it then to draw it?

I'm just suggesting an exercise here that will force you to think about the concept of the logo before drawing it.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like the gear idea, and I've given this some thought and what the registry tool basically does is toggle certain registry keys on and off and some of those registry keys do allow extra settings so I had a quick play with a toggle switch and a combo of a switch and a very simplified gear.

Edit: One thing I noticed in a few ideas posted so far is the incorporation of the Xara logo or the Xara X and while the XaRT tool is being made to work with Xara software it is not Xara and their logos are AFAIK copyrighted trademarks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xart_2.png 
Views:	607 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	96105  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
    I like the symmetrical'ness of the cog and the X.

I'm attaching the gear logo.. It's a bit cleaner and laid out better than what I posted..

x-gear-source1-mindseye.xar

mindseye.
    I love the design AND your approach, mindseye. You're doing something cool with the drop-shadows, very subtle, more like an emboss effect.

@Everyone—If you don't own Fustian, what mindseye did for the subtext, I believe this is a "tribute font" to Frutiger Condensed, they're very similar.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

@ Frances—

I love the idea of an on/off toggle switch.

And I can tell you right now it's such a strong icon, that it will fight, not complement the gear.

You got something very strong here. Develop it without the gear. Perhaps use it inside the hole in the lowercase "a"?

-g
    IP

Thanks for the input all..!

@ angelize -

Thank you for addressing the Trademark issue. I should have asked that from the get go.

I don't see a problem with a similar font style, do you?

mindseye / Vic.

EDIT:

Thanks for the font reference -

Take a look at OpenSans as well.
    Last edited by mindseye; 13 May 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    IP

Gary: Thanks for the feedback.
    I was thinking of the 'X' inside the gear and thought that it might have a gold look. Black gear and gold X.
    I just haven't tried it yet - to see what it might look like.
    I shall do that as soon as I get a chance.

I deliberately didn't make the 'X' thicker.
    But, it's only when you get feedback, do you know that others might actually like it better with a thicker X.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

@all—

I don't see a problem with incorporating the distinctive "x" that The Xara Group used to use on the splash screen.

XaRT is not spelled the same way as "Xara" so naturally there are unavoidable differences, thus you are not copying a logo, thus not infringing on it.

Generally it's good to err on the side of caution, but here we have an open source project designed to work with Xara. Okay, niether Frances nor I are copyright lawyers, so I can't advise anyone.

Would a programmer from The Xara Group like to step in and advise?

----------------

The flip side of this is I think a good designer with a good concept can do an original logo that reminds you of Xara and doesn't copy the text in any way. When I want to get close but not too close, I usually use Antique Olive. I have no idea what Xara actually uses.

-g
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is another go with the toggle switch idea. The font I used in this one is Gill Sans extra bold condensed. I converted it to shapes and modified the letters a bit so it's not true to the font.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

The art is attached if anyone wants to show me up...which should be easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159b677b2a02564e1e16e28ce1e655d4.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	96110

-g
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP