Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xart Logo.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	96087
    Another idea.
    IP

Default Re: Design a Logo for XaRT

Please Stop designing and read this first!

I’m not going to be thanked for this, but largely you folks are spinning your wheels and using your time to design layouts and artwork that are not a logo for XaRT.

If you haven’t worked at an ad agency, or a commercial printer, or if you’re not Gary Priester (who's been doing commercial logos for decades), you probably cannot define, and hence design “a Logo”.

These submissions are great and inspired artwork, but they are not logos and they are not logotypes. Let me define here:

A logo is an identifying graphic, which may or may not require additional text to make it clear who the company it and what it does. For example, Apple, Inc. uses the highly-recognizable stencil of an apple with a bite missing. Apple is often confident enough of their logo that they don’t need to “spell it out” and no text accompanies the logo. McDonald’s hedges (but might not need to) by integrating the company name with the golden arch silhouette logo; Dolby Systems and Arm & Hammer use a distinguishing graphic as their logo.

A logotype spells out the name of a company or product by customizing text with a simple graphic, or occasionally not using a graphic at all, but instead the logotype is basically a typeface commissioned for exclusive use. Google is a perfect example of a corporate logotype: Catull, a Roman serif font from the Berthold type foundry is used to identify the Web giant. Microsoft used Helvetica Black Italic for almost two decades as their logotype, with that tiny notch missing from the second “o”. Perhaps the most highly recognizable logotype is Walter E. Disney Enterprises, the hand script opens Disney films. Alternatively, Disney uses the mouse ear silhouette as a logo on several of their retail items.

If you can say it with a picture, text becomes subordinate and you need to ask yourself whether the text is really necessary. Today, we live by icons: icons are internationally understood and if a product or company lends itself to the visual gestalt of depicting exactly what a company does instead of using text, you’ll well on your way to designing a terrific logo.

Whatever Grace decides on from these submissions, we really need to do her a service by creating a logo that is descriptive, attractive, and catchy—it should have a visual “hook”. Here’s a mock example of the logo creation process: Lost Coral Antiques in Boca Raton, Florida. The small business is seafaring in flavor, so working a ship’s wheel as the “o” in “Lost” is appropriate, and besides, I see ship wheels for sale in antique stores by the ocean all the time. First, you design something in black and white, to see how it will look when printed on paper. One color logos are a “pure” art form: there is no escaping whether the design works or not when you remove color.

Name:	4-versions.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	96091

Then you see how it works in color. I used (appropriate) Floridian colors, the salmon and contrasting grass green, but other schemes certainly are worth a try. Then I embellished it, as it might appear in full color ads without products or anything else. This might work in the store front window, but always, the logo is the predominant element. The seahorse in both versions is subordinate, it complements the logo, as does the seaweed. They help complete the picture, but they are not the picture. Please "get" the idea of this graphic and not how it could be improved. I worked in haste here!

If you go to the "Creating a Logo" tutorial, I did an introduction to designing a logo on the March 2012 Xara Xone video tutorial. Just watch the first 3 minutes, you’ll get a better idea of successful and unsuccessful logos.

And I think we’ve submitted enough logos with a horse, and please take this observation as constructive criticism: a critical evaluation of the XaRT logo—and you know that the “Art Critics” that occasionally troll around here will be critical—says that the horse is actually Bill Taylor’s logo and not strictly the XaRT logo, okay? If Apple, Inc. used a wine glass as a logo because Steve Jobs liked wine…you’d never know what the company is at a glance. Be representative of what the product is, not how we want to remember Bill. Grace and other contributors are doing an earnest service to the memory of our friend by building this utility. I’m sure there will be room on the Help menu for a written and graphical tribute, which is sort of where a stallion image is appropriate.

To jump start a new and more appropriate avenue of graphics here, think of what this thing is: it's a tool. How can immediately identifiable tools work with text? A wrench turning a registry entry, or one of the characters in XaRT? It's a Registry tool. What's in the Registry? A lot of numbers and values. Can you use a whole shipload of characters and numbers to make a texture within the XaRT lettering? These ideas have been done many times before; you judge whether you want to revisit this motifs, but do understand that they are immediately identifiable as the graphic foundation of what the product or idea is.

I’m sorry for the length of this, but I felt strongly (because I am not entering this competition) that everyone needs to begin with a clear assignment... and many of us, for decades, have been approaching logos as a spectator and not a creator. We can’t always learn by example; you should see how I worked on our car just because I know what a car looks like.

Our car makes a great paperweight now.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

I would just like to add that we need something that will work well on the splash screen, as an icon and a favicon(possibly). And we may give thoughts to a background to the input(form) pages. So, as Gary said, I don't think any of you are close yet. But we have plenty of time - Steve and I are only just getting started on the design document. So don't go rushing things.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Well, here are a few starters from me.

I will take into account - Icon/Favicon next go round.

Everyone..!

Feel free to use/better any concept elements from any designs I submit. I don't feel this should be a competition, but, more of a gathering of creative minds.

I don't post a lot, but do know, I am always visiting here for ideas or solutions to a problem I may have.

Regards,
    mindseye.

Name:	xart1.png 
Views:	629 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	96093
    IP

I like those, especially the fifth from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
    Well, here are a few starters from me.

I will take into account - Icon/Favicon next go round.

Everyone..!

Feel free to use/better any concept elements from any designs I submit. I don't feel this should be a competition, but, more of a gathering of creative minds.

I don't post a lot, but do know, I am always visiting here for ideas or solutions to a problem I may have.

Regards,
    mindseye.

Name:	xart1.png 
Views:	629 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	96093
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
    I don't post a lot, ...]
    mindseye, really consider posting a lot!

Your playfulness with the gear is a wonderful beginning. If the gear, perhaps with the X inside of it can be another variation on your theme, you have a great icon for the utility.

I also like your unsused concept of working five pixels into an "X".

@ everyone: here's some fast food for thought (that was a self-deprecatory pun):

• Play with color and also with "negative space". If I were to redesign the logo for A1 steak sauce, it might look like this, using negative space:

Name:	A1 rework.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	96094

So, a very nascent approach to mindseye's gear motif might look like this is we used negative space for the counter in the lowercase "a":

Name:	XaRt knockout gear.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	96095

And as a companion piece with the same approach, the icon might look like this, because icons need to be very simple for small sizes:

Name:  XaRT icon.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  8.9 KB

•Experiment with iconic representations of what this thing does: use tools, gears, numbers, and so on.

Most importantly, begin with an idea, a concept. All the art skills on Earth won't get us the logo we need if there isn't a strong, flexible, extensible idea behind your creation.

And no, this is not a competition. It's a group effort and I'd like to jam with you people instead of submitting a design.

My report cards used to say, "Gary works well with others."

-g
    IP

Thanks for the input.. Agree, agree and agreed.

Per your suggestion Gare..

Name:	xart-x-gear1.png 
Views:	577 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	96101

Critiques are always accepted and welcome.

Another idea as was finishing that one up. I did a logo recently that some of the concept may fit in without over complicating the mark.

Name:	sample-bits.png 
Views:	613 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	96102

The bits coming off could be representation of the "registry data" in motion.. just a thought. Might try integrating that some way.

Also, I will post the source files after a bit.

We used to play a game called "Can You".. Kinda like the "Scribble" thing you do here.Take what one has done and add to it, etc.

Could be fun.

Regards,
    mindseye.
    IP

Well.
    I too had been thinking about gears.
    I was also thinking about the 'x' in the gear. But, I didn't want the letter x itself.

I wanted less cogs on my gear, giving me a chance to make an 'X'

So, here's a couple from me and I'm sure in our efforts we will come up with something really good.

Gary: Thanks for the good lessons and I'm sure we will do our best to put it into practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xart logo.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	96099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xart logo 1.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	96100  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara B View Post
    Come One and Come All.

Submit your Original Logo Design for Xara Registry Tool or XaRT in this thread. Once we have a bunch of designs we'll have a poll to narrow the choices. Then Grace as project lead or whoever she designates will pick the final winner.

Entries made in this forum remain solely the copyright of the submitter. The winner of the competition will however have to agree to formally donate the logo to the project or offer some kind of perpetual use licence. Because this will be the project logo, and not a reusable object, we probably should not release the artwork under the the standard CC licence. Suggestions requested on how to handle this can be made in this thread.
    Thought I would take a shot at this logo. I think the logo should be somewhat bold, since we are talking about registry tool. Looking at some of the submissions using the horse as strong and bold, I complimented the horse idea with bold text message.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xart Logo.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	96104
    IP

Just a quick comment, @ Rik, or two—

I think the "X" is too subtle within the gear. You can "play your hand", and force the reading by making the "X" a different color.

I like it, though. I think we're beginning to jam on the idea of a gear...I like the concept! Concept is everything.

@Everyone—start looking around at good examples of typography. Find interesting and also utilitarian typefaces.

Rik, your use of Futura is a strong one (pun intended) but I'd like to see more of the kerning and creative linking of parts of characters like mindseye did with the "R" and the "T".

By the way, mindseye, I think everyone should pay attention to what you did typographically. That's almost exactly the font used in Xara's logo. The more the logo looks as thought it's a companion to Xara, the more easily people will begin to understand what the utility is for, right?

I am not suggesting that everyone tries to use Xara's logo, but fitting text together is interesting, or it can be. The favicon for the Xara Xone is a simple, blocky arrangement of negative space and alternating characters:

Name:	xone-3-more-sizes.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	96106

Name:	xara-xone-diag-tile.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	96107

I'm just throwing out ideas.

Riff on them, eh?