To paraphrase Albert Einstein, “Originality is directly proportional to your success in hiding your source.”

It doesn’t bother me in the least that XaReg’s graphic there looks like a modified Windows RegEdit icon. It’s appropriate, I do wish I’d thought of doing this clever variation first (!), but when all said and done, Microsoft can’t really take the credit for originality because the RegEdit icon looks almost exactly like a Rubik’s cube, a puzzle, much like the Registry.

I’m much happier and would be much more content if we walked away from this similarity and take stock of what some of the artists on this thread have submitted. I’m partial to the checkmark in a box, with it being part of a larger “X”. It will reproduce well at icon size, and at least three of us worked on it, so it’s a fitting tribute to community collaboration, open source precepts, and originality.

There will be no 100% departure from the original concept of this applet: that was undeniably Steve and Bill’s doing. But we can at least redefine what this program is a little by branding it with an original icon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xart v4.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	96656

-g