Just a quick comment, @ Rik, or two—

I think the "X" is too subtle within the gear. You can "play your hand", and force the reading by making the "X" a different color.

I like it, though. I think we're beginning to jam on the idea of a gear...I like the concept! Concept is everything.

@Everyone—start looking around at good examples of typography. Find interesting and also utilitarian typefaces.

Rik, your use of Futura is a strong one (pun intended) but I'd like to see more of the kerning and creative linking of parts of characters like mindseye did with the "R" and the "T".

By the way, mindseye, I think everyone should pay attention to what you did typographically. That's almost exactly the font used in Xara's logo. The more the logo looks as thought it's a companion to Xara, the more easily people will begin to understand what the utility is for, right?

I am not suggesting that everyone tries to use Xara's logo, but fitting text together is interesting, or it can be. The favicon for the Xara Xone is a simple, blocky arrangement of negative space and alternating characters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xone-3-more-sizes.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	96106

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-xone-diag-tile.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	96107

I'm just throwing out ideas.

Riff on them, eh?