Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-ups

Default Back-ups

I have asked this before, but i still dont understand,
    HOW can i BACK-UP my xara website? incase of pc crashing etc?
    thanks

Default Re: Back-ups

WD makes backups every ten minutes. You can view these in File > Open Recent > Backups...

If your computer crashes, these will not do you any good however.

Save your website .web (WD's document file) to an external drive or flash drive.

Anyone who does a lot of work with WD or Designer Pro should also be aware that these backup files after a while can create a very large (file size) directory, and it is good from time to time to go through and delete the older backups.

ahhh okay, so if the pc crashes then, i can use the .web to restore the WHOLE website? exactly the way it was?? where do i find that file?

When you save your site in Web Designer, or any Xara application, File > Save or Save As... you are creating a .web document. For example, My Website.web.

This is the document in which you create and edit, and publish your website. It is not the website. The website are the HTM or HTML files you add to your web hosts server.

So save your document to your website, and then also save it to a flash drive or other external drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Southafrican View Post
    I have asked this before, but i still dont understand,
    HOW can i BACK-UP my xara website? incase of pc crashing etc?
    thanks
    You asked but didn't bother to acknowledge: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post474183

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You asked but didn't bother to acknowledge: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post474183

Acorn
    Cause i dont understand it.. i need to know.. like
    1) copy the folder with all your images to disk
    2) copy this and that to disk
    etc i understand and im the one asking for help! and with that i am very thankfull for every bit of information...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you save your site in Web Designer, or any Xara application, File > Save or Save As... you are creating a .web document. For example, My Website.web.

This is the document in which you create and edit, and publish your website. It is not the website. The website are the HTM or HTML files you add to your web hosts server.

So save your document to your website, and then also save it to a flash drive or other external drive.
    So to be able to open the website exactly like it is now, id have to copy all the html files, .web file aswel as xara file and folder with my pictures etc to the harddrive?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southafrican View Post
    Cause i dont understand it.. i need to know.. like
    1) copy the folder with all your images to disk
    2) copy this and that to disk
    etc i understand and im the one asking for help! and with that i am very thankfull for every bit of information...
    FAIRY FOOTSTEPS then.

Gary has told you where to find your Backups.
    I assume you know where you saved your master .web file?

"I assume you do have automatic backup selected to keep the last 10 copies of your saved work.
    This is your Master file (.web or .xar)."

Next, having found your .web file you need to save it somewhere:

Obviously you save this to a cloud store automatically too.
    I expect you copy the Master file onto a USB stick just to be sure.

If you don't understand this bit, you really must read Xara's help:

What you really need to do is File > Export website... to a local folder.
    Say you have 50 pages and the first is called index.
    You will then have 50 .htm files and one folder called index_htm_files.

The last is what you publish; an export can be saved to anywhere on a local drive or USB stick or DVD or Cloud (Dropbox, etc).

Only you know what extras you have included or changes to photographs you have made when adding them to your site, so don't just rely on your .web file to store everything in their original format, you need to save these separately for emergency recovery.

If you didn't understand then ask, don't raise the same question twice without offering up a clue as to your problem.

Acorn

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I keep copies of import .web (web designer) and .xar (Designer Pro) files in a secure online service. I use Dropbox for this but I'm sure there are others that would work as well.

For Dropbox it works like this: When you set up dropbox a special folder is created on your computer called simply DropBox. You can save anything you want into this folder and it is automatically saved both locally and online in your dropbox account.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi you three! sorry for the late reply! thank you very very much! got it all backed up
    many thanks!