Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Adobe commits suicide

Just think of the number of people like myself who think twice when spending that amount of money on software and the time it takes to put that money back into the business. Much easier to pay monthly. Other thing to remember is how many of us have a subscription out on a mag and if it is not relevant any more to your interest how long does it take to cancel it. I certainly have had a few mags like that and you don't really miss the money a bet a few businesses will be like me when it comes to Adobe products.
    Design is thinking made visual.

If I make a publication in ID CC7 and eventually stop using the application in say 2 years I will not be able to open it in my perpetual license CS6. Multiply that by X number of publications and my only recourse is to sign back up to the cloud in order to access my work. That is an issue to me.

Now multiply that scenario times X number of CC versions.

I do recognize that for some people that the cloud appears to make some financial sense in the short term. Having a licensing model where the terms, and costs, can change at Adobe's whim makes zero sense to me in both the short or long term.

For myself, I only use two adobe applications, AI and ID (and mostly ID). I have no need for the other applications and could care less whether I can opt to not install them.

I'll just affirm that my comments here are looking from adobe's point of view - I shall not myself be signing up because I don't have any need to
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I wouldn't touch a subscription based app with a 10 foot pole. No way. NEVER.

I'm being nickeled and dimed to death in every facet of my life. Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    I wouldn't touch a subscription based app with a 10 foot pole. No way. NEVER.

I'm being nickeled and dimed to death in every facet of my life. Enough.
    Me either, TDolce. Like you say enough is enough.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I've been using dreamweaver for quite a while, ended up purchasing one of the suites as it was cheaper than the individual programs. I opted for the cloud also when it came out as it was cheaper than upgrades, you didn't have to lay out a lot of money all at once, and you get access to all their programs and updates. If I remember correctly, you can also install it on another computer and use it as long as the programs aren't running at the same time, so you can install it on a laptop, for example.

For me it was both cost saving and convenient so I opted into it. My wife opted into the MS Office subscription, I believe it was $100/year and good for 5 computers. Now if Adobe would follow that....
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

There are a lot of angry creatives out there as a result of Adobe's announcement. People are looking for alternatives, this is definitely the moment for Xara to up its game.

For a discussion on Adobe's move from the perspective of the Libre graphics community see this article and the interesting comments it elicited:
    http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/e...-free-software

For CorelDraw's response (by the senior director of product management) and the comments it elicited:
    http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/2013...oice/#comments
    In short, Corel state that for the foreseeable future they will be offering traditionally owned software (box version) and a subscriber service, leaving the choice to the customer. Although it is implied that in the long term they may also follow Adobe's subscription only model. An announcement about their Mac plans is also imminent.

good links - especially the first [and I am a long term fan of WTD cartoon ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, the first link seems very balanced and fair.

Whether cloud membership is a good idea or not depends completely on your circumstance.

We can all be nervous that Adobe has us all by the proverbials and able to charge what they can get away with. My freelance work relies entirely on Adobe software.

IMHO, the Cloud is a euphemism for a bloatware fart in the face of the graphic arts community. A blast of noxious methane gas from wherever Adobe is hiding their headquarters these days, probably in a San Jose storm sewer. Contributing every bit as much to global warming as bovine emissions.

As others have noted, what happens to your work if Adobe changes the terms? And, what happens if Adobe goes under? Many of you can remember WordPerfect ... the alltime lawyer's favorite word processor ... can you imagine the panic if WP had gone to the methane cloud, before being overcome by its poisonous vapors, and then tanking?

There are legal implications to Cloud-based platforms. Believe me, if Adobe's business practices adversely affect your business in Europe, or Australia, or Kazakhstan... you are just so totally out of luck trying to get recourse for yourself or your customers.

In a larger sense, this is the revenge of the client-server weenies, desperate to reclaim the dominatrix position they held prior to the PC revolution. This time, the PC you paid for becomes one of their neo-terminals, with a slather of eye candy sufficient to keep most thinking its such a good deal.

Creative Cloud? Hardly. Smells so bad I hope Adobe chokes on it.
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com