Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

does anyone know how to make an object, say a rectangle, have gradual bevel so that it takes on the shape of a wedge, flat at one end and gradually beveling to the other end.
    IP

does anyone know how to make an object, say a rectangle, have gradual bevel so that it takes on the shape of a wedge, flat at one end and gradually beveling to the other end.
    IP

Interesting. Ok, here's my (breif) contribution.

Assuming we're looking at this thing from a 3/4 top view, what I would do is make a trapezoid on one layer, duplicate the layer and drag it down a few pixels. Make the "Join" the two trapezoids (on either side, with some vertical lines on a New Layer). You may want to use the Lasso tool to define the area where the bevel will be. This area will cover the space between the two trapezoids, bounded on either side by your vertical lines. Fill this area in with a lighter colour than your trapezoids.

Then Merge the Layers and fill in any gaps. What you should have is a Perspective-ish view of your Rectangle (hence the use of trapezoids), with a uniform bevel.

Make a horizontal guide line. Then rotate your shape a little bit so that part of the "bevel" falls below the guide, and the rest remains above it. Now, simply erase the pixels that are below the guide.

Well, I guess this wasn't too breif, and it's probably more complciated than it needs to be, but my morning coffee hasn't entered my bloodstream yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Spectre

http://www3.sympatico.ca/the_spectre
    IP

It's simple to create, if it's the right effect you're looking for.

Let me know if it is, and i'll explain it.
    If you like though, i've attached the .PSD file for the sample image. You can examine it and see exactly what's been done. Very simple. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Right-click this file and choose "Save As..".

If you just click this attachment, it will most likely start PS and load this file into it.

If that's what you want, go for it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Thank you both for your replies. I'm looking to do the wedge effect on somewhat realistic looking buttons made with Photoshop layer effects or Fireworks bevel effects. I'm really surprised that aren't options for this kind of effect in either applications bevel effects panels. How would you take the sample button included in my attachment and give it a wedge effect?

Thanks again for the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum_graphic.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	3800  
    IP

Hi mpm,

I would use the method i mentioned above.

Take note... when looking straight down upon a wedge shaped piece of wood, there are very few (2 mainly), things that will allow your eyes to decern that the object is NOT just a square that's the same height on all sides:

1) The way the light is cast off of the front and back; i.e. the lowest points & the highest points of the block.

2) The perception of the block's beveled edge getting more pronounced as the block thickens.

Both of these points tell your eyes there is a difference in the depth of the object's sides.

In the attached .PSD file i've repeated the method i described above (previous post). You will see/understand easily what i've explained in points 1 & 2 here.

The only thing left to do might be to add a few extra highlights &/or shadows to excentuate the effect (illusion).

Try to answer the following:
    1) did/do you have a very 'specific' kind of look or effect you can see in your mind for this?
    2) If so... is the method described not producing an effect close enough to what you're envisioning?
    3) And if this is also true... then what is missing from the explained sample method that you think might help produce the specific effect you're imagining?

PS: if you save this file to your system, right-click and choose "Save As...". Don't just click on it; unless you don't care if Photoshop starts up when you do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP