Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taylored Registry Editor for Xara or TREX for short

7 33.33%
  • Xara Registry Tool or XART for short

14 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vote for TREX or XaRT Poll ends May 3, 2013

Please help us choose a name for the Xara registry editor we will be creating. The suggestions have been narrowed down to two contenders both of which have snappy nicknames.

Taylored Registry Editor for Xara or TREX This choice directly acknowledges that our departed friend Bill Taylor who was the primary code developer for XaREG

Xara Registry Tool or XART It could be pronounced zart. This choice, while less sentimental doesn't require the user to "get" the reference to Bill Taylor. Bill's name doesn't have to be in the name of the program, he can be remembered on screen in the programs about screen, in a footer perhaps and/or on the software's download page.

So make your choice. This poll will close on May 3, 2013.

NOTE: We can not use XaReg because the code and the name belongs in whole or in part to Bill's estate. And we are not using any of his code in this project and we don't have permission to do so either.

In most, if not all, countries of the world naming a product the same name as another, pre-existing product that does the same thing, is discouraged or illegal. In any case it is deceptive or confusing. And even though using the same name is meant as an homage or memorial, really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 30 April 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com
    IP

Default Re: Vote for TREX or XaRT Poll ends May 3, 2013

Hi,

I think Xart is better, but mainly because Trex is a brand of lard in the uk!

Whatever you decide, Bill will not be forgotten. Nope.

Good luck.

Ali
    IP

hmm I think TREX is a bit out there and the XART abreviation sounds like an art tool instead of a registry editor. Personally I would prefer the existing name XaReg over these because it's more self explanatory and I think retaining the name would also be a good tribute in itself.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    hmm I think TREX is a bit out there and the XART abreviation sounds like an art tool instead of a registry editor. Personally I would prefer the existing name XaReg over these because it's more self explanatory and I think retaining the name would also be a good tribute in itself.
    +1
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Hi,

I don't regularly post on this Forum, however I believe the original name (XaReg) should stand for itself, as that's what I presume Bill called it in the first place.

Steve
    IP

If I have to choose between the two titles for the project, then it will have to be XART, but I would have preferred the one Bill chose originally, XaReg.

Stygg
    IP

Thumbs down Re: Vote for TREX or XaRT Poll ends May 3, 2013

Why change the name? Keeping XaReg would honor Bill's efforts more than any cleverly contrived acrynom.
    ~Fred
    IP

I vote for XaReg. (Yay Soquili).

I think it's more descriptive, it honors Bill, and I don't care for either of the other names.
    IP

We were hoping Sledger was around to chime in, I think he must be on Holiday or something. I think he could give us permission to use XaReg.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

NOTE: We can not use XaReg because the code and the name belongs in whole or in part to Bill's estate. And we are not using any of his code in this project and we don't have permission to do so either.

In most, if not all, countries of the world naming a product the same name as another, pre-existing product that does the same thing, is discouraged or illegal. In any case it is deceptive or confusing. And even though using the same name is meant as an homage or memorial, really doesn't matter.

So we will honor Bill in the software and the documentation but we can't use his code or the name. And that is why we are polling for a new name.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com
    IP