Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: XaReg revisited

The best name is what it presently named. Xara Registry Editor (XRE for shorthand) is my preferred name.

It would be good to dump the registry for present settings that can be set, a list from Xara Group of any items that might be readable by Xara products that are not in the registry by default (if any).

Mike
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Barbara (sorry Gary ) I think the same thing with Xtender as with Xtensions it implies extending or adding to the software which is not what this will do.

I would also like to volunteer to do a download page using Xara that could have links to the open source repository as well as download links and links to discussions here at TG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Mike - I'm thinking that this will be a clean code and interface effort not redo, and not based on Bill's or Steve's code/effort so it would not be appropriate or even probably legal to use the same name. That is why we are looking for a new name.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com
    IP

I wrote my last comment at the same time that you posted. I do like "Xoquili", except that it only means something to the old timers. And thanks, I am sure I will be calling on you for registry settings. And it will definitely be open source. I don't want to lose it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    How about "Xoquili"?

I would like to suggest that the project be open source, available for anyone to inspect and submit changes.

If the developers need to know anything about the registry settings and what they do just ask any of us Xara guys on the forum. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we'd all be happy to help.

Phil
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara B View Post
    Mike - I'm thinking that this will be a clean code and interface effort not redo, and not based on Bill's or Steve's code/effort so it would not be appropriate or even probably legal to use the same name. That is why we are looking for a new name.
    Barbara--which is why I proposed a modified, different name

Mike
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I don't think the name Xoquili is right for the project because while the intention to honour Bill is wonderful, it doesn't really say anything about what the program is or what it will do. I also think it is important not to let the desire to honour Bill overshadow the generous offer to the Xara community that Grace is making here.

As for suggestions for settings there may be some settings for the Shapebuilder/eraser tool that may be worth including, but it would probably be a good thing to wait for DP9 to be released before looking at that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

I can't say I like 'Xoquili'

If we do want to honour Bill, why not just use the name he preferred and used: Soquili

Or come up with something completely different.

What concerns me is that Steve Ledger hasn't come in with his opinions.

Also, same as many others have said, I am more than willing to help on the artwork side.
    That's what I enjoy doing the most.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Just read all the posts on carrying on Bill and Steve's XaReg. It would be a fitting tribute to Bill, who I bet by now is having a chuckle about all the proposed new names being put forward for the new XaReg and what you could do and can't do But also, I bet he's pleased everyone is thinking about him and very pleased Grace came up with the idea of carrying on his legacy, now there's a completely new name! Legacy

Stygg
    IP

Here's a few more suggestions

If we want a Xara reference in the programme name:
    Xpert Editor - XE
    Xara Xpert Editor - Xara XE

If we want to honour Bill, then:
    Taylor It
    Taylor Edit
    Tayloreg

Or someone can get ideas from these.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

I figure the project can be TBD until quite late in the game, so I am enjoying the discussion. Plus, I am not someone who is pressured easily
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    @Grace, if this "Name Game" is putting any pressure or confusion on you, please tell us to stop it, okay?

A name is a name, ultimately. We need to arrive at the product. Look at how many people made fun of the name "iPad". And now it's commonly accepted and everyone wants one.

-g

P.S.-By the way, a member just asked if there is a shortcut key combo for the Animation Frame Gallery, to Copy the current frame, so you can concentrate on your work and not have to leave the area you're working on to click the "Copy" button. I see in Utilities>Keyboard Shortcut commands that there's nothing for the Animation Gallery.

Is this something that could be added via this project, Grace? Adding keyboard commands for items not listing within the Xara UI?
    Last edited by gracehjs; 28 April 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP