Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default how to convert png to shape ?

hi all , is possible convert png to shape ???

thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pisangCutout.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	95881  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: how to convert png to shape ?

Hello Avidivx, yes this can be done. Are you looking to create a simple silhouette? to do that I would use the shape tool to trace an outline around the image in this case your bananas and when you get to the end (back to the beginning) you will see a little + sign when one end of the line comes over the other at that point release the mouse key and your lines join and become a filled shape. In the bananas image you will need to trace a second shape. Hide the first shape by opening the page and layer gallery and expanding the page items so you can see all the items on your page. next to each item is an eye find your new bananas shape and click the eye next to it to hide it. Now you can trace the little area between the stems and when that's done and you have a filled shape there while this shape is still selected go to the page and layer gallery and unhide the bananas shape and hold down shift and select the bananas shape too. Now in the arrange menu go to combine shapes and select subtract shapes from the sub menu (or the keyboard shortcut for this is Ctrl+2)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png to shape.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	95882  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I have the exact same problem -- but I can't believe that you actually would have to re-draw the outline by hand(!) in order to get that black shape shown above. Is there no other way to create a shape (or mask) from that perfectly cutout alpha channel of those bananas?

if you have a high resolution image you could use a bitmap tracer, but the image here is a bit low to get a good clean edge [because of the antialiasing as much as anything]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

No that this isn't an old thread...

Silhouettes are easy. I usually draw them as well. Unless I already have Illy running or take the time to start it or if the image is more involved than this...or I wish (or need to) to fiddle with the result--which at that point it is often easier to draw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001113.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	117617

And a color trace ain't too bad either, even with lower res images.

Name:	capture-001114.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	117618

But then again, unless I was actually having to use such a low res image, I would just use a higher res version.

yes illy is better with low res images than xara
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just found a way. You make the image monochrome (preferably black) by fiddling with contrast and/or brightness. Next you make a bitmap copy of that image, which you then (within like two seconds) can auto-trace to get an exact shape of the outline.

Needed it for this:

Name:	z4METlA.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	117619
    https://i.imgur.com/z4METlA.png
    Last edited by David.P; 21 May 2017 at 05:16 PM.

in xara as the image has alpha background you can right click black on the colour line and set both light and dark contone - quicker than messing with contrast in this case

I question whether the outline will be exact - I'd like to see your result and the settings you used in xara - also how many shapes and nodes do you have if you do it in colour...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in xara as the image has alpha background you can right click black on the colour line and set both light and dark contone
    True, works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I question whether the outline will be exact - I'd like to see your result and the settings you used in xara - also how many shapes and nodes do you have if you do it in colour...

Name:	SbMcD1Q.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	117620
    https://i.imgur.com/SbMcD1Q.png
    Last edited by David.P; 21 May 2017 at 05:51 PM.

thing is - the xara bitmap tracer traces the image without antialiasing - that is quite exact, but it gives a jagged/stepped edge of course - you can add smoothing to the trace but it does not really follow the original outline that well at low res
    Nothing lasts forever...