Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Soquili Font: ready to proceed!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Gare, I just wasn't sure.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Gary is stalled out on the Soquili font

I’d like to ask for a consensus here, but first, I’d like to explain why members toiled away tracing horse silhouettes and yet Bouton hasn’t come up with a tribute font for Bill Taylor yet.

The answer is: it’s not very good, not a fitting tribute to our dear departed friend. The concept I thought was a good one, to make 26 glyphs of a horse galloping, that if typed in sequence in an animation program (such as Xara), would result in a galloping animation.

I worked on the font from everyone’s generous work, but gave up after realizing this isn’t what we want to do to remember Bill. Trust me, it’s just not a great font.

May I please offer some sort of alternative plan? Does the typeface have to be Cherokee in theme? Would it not be enough tribute to create a handsome picture font, name it “Soquili” and deem that as appropriate?

I’d love to engage all in a discussion here. I’m available to compile a font, and I’ve even begun three or four originals I’d be good with just donating/remembering Bill by, no strings, just love.

PM if need be, and apologies if anyone felt jerked around.

I’m a volunteer, too.

My Very Best,

Gary

Default Re: Gary is stalled out on the Soquili font

Well here is how I feel about it. I agree about the horse font. I always thought it was extremely limited in it's use, so I'm not surprised at what you are saying Gare.
    Does it need to be Cherokee?, no I don't think so but possibly should have an "Indian" feel to it, whatever that means.
    I don't know about a picture font, because those also seem just too limited. How about a "smoke signal" kind of a font, with all the letters formed with puffs of smoke shapes.
    Just some random thoughts there.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

We're here to discuss, Larry.

When I mention "picture font", this includes all non alpha-numerical numbers, and if we could gather 26 Native American patterns from woven goods, whatever, I can see the use for it, and besides, this will always be a free font in memory of Bill, so I honestly can't see any "exploitation" arguments.

We could even include in the Readme file that there are worthy places of Cherokee ancestry worthy of a donation in exchange for the font.

Again, these, too, are just thoughts.

I hate "all talk and no action" but I also want to do this right and with respect, and that's why I felt a need to post today after a lot of unpleasant wool-gathering.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    We're here to discuss, Larry.
    i really did look at this twice and think "we're here to discuss larry?"

ok, i'll leave now...

(count me in if you need something for the remember bill font)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Am I not discussing by airing my thoughts about the matter?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@ Larry: I think that Frank was joking that it sounded like Gary was saying we are here to discuss you.

My thoughts on this are maybe rather than a font we should look at a repository of some of Bill's images and/or links to some of his posts that include tips, mini tutorials and other great stuff he shared here with us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I'm not stuck on creating a typeface to honor Bill, it's just that a font has value, as I suggested, as a cooperative donation thing, while a repository of Bill's work 1.) might require permission from his survivors, and 2.) we can't suggest a beneficial donation be made from some thing a visitor can't download and use.

Again, just thinking out loud.

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 05 August 2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: did not understand context of Frank's post

Actually I don't mind Frank's humorous quips. In fact I like them. I certainly do it often enough.
    So if you guys and gals want to "discuss Larry" that's OK too.
    There has been a long standing joke mostly between Rik and I about Mr. Scribble (Mr Whatdhidnsme) which started out with a real scribble in challenges and Rik's humorous reply.
    OK back on topic, interesting suggestion from Frances, I'll try and think about this a little more but at the moment I like that idea.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Whatever the general consensus is, but I'll feel guilty that I let other members who worked on the drawings down by "copping out" here.

It's guilt I'll come to terms with, no big deal.

@Larry, because we've never met, I don't have a good idea about the thickness of your skin. You know as well as I do as a Moderator, sometimes one needs to "reel the thread back in", and if you're good with good-natured kidding around, as Frank would say, "Okay, this is me shutting up now."

-g