Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Soquili Font: ready to proceed!!!

I have gone over, and over, and over this so guess I'll post my work and hope for the best.

Soquili-07-13.xar

I, Larry E. Leiker, as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following font, Soquili TG, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sub-license, and distribute [the] Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.

Larry E. Leiker, Saint Peters, MO., USA
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry, I just snagged your work and opened it, and it's fine, man, just as good as everyone else's splendid efforts.

Now I really need to finesse the drawings so they're not so literal in your tracing. Mostly because my model was a little crude on the mane and the tail, unavoidable to make the animation work as quickly as I got it working.

I want each drawing to be able to stand on its own as a glyph and nice artwork, and it only requires a little editing because everyone did exactly as we were asked: trace accurately over my inaccurate JPEGs.

It'll make sense after I compile and cook the font.

Larry, you and everyone did great, and I hope Bill is looking down at us and laughing.

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for the encouragement Gare, I just wasn't sure.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Gary is stalled out on the Soquili font

I’d like to ask for a consensus here, but first, I’d like to explain why members toiled away tracing horse silhouettes and yet Bouton hasn’t come up with a tribute font for Bill Taylor yet.

The answer is: it’s not very good, not a fitting tribute to our dear departed friend. The concept I thought was a good one, to make 26 glyphs of a horse galloping, that if typed in sequence in an animation program (such as Xara), would result in a galloping animation.

I worked on the font from everyone’s generous work, but gave up after realizing this isn’t what we want to do to remember Bill. Trust me, it’s just not a great font.

May I please offer some sort of alternative plan? Does the typeface have to be Cherokee in theme? Would it not be enough tribute to create a handsome picture font, name it “Soquili” and deem that as appropriate?

I’d love to engage all in a discussion here. I’m available to compile a font, and I’ve even begun three or four originals I’d be good with just donating/remembering Bill by, no strings, just love.

PM if need be, and apologies if anyone felt jerked around.

I’m a volunteer, too.

My Very Best,

Gary

Default Re: Gary is stalled out on the Soquili font

Well here is how I feel about it. I agree about the horse font. I always thought it was extremely limited in it's use, so I'm not surprised at what you are saying Gare.
    Does it need to be Cherokee?, no I don't think so but possibly should have an "Indian" feel to it, whatever that means.
    I don't know about a picture font, because those also seem just too limited. How about a "smoke signal" kind of a font, with all the letters formed with puffs of smoke shapes.
    Just some random thoughts there.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

We're here to discuss, Larry.

When I mention "picture font", this includes all non alpha-numerical numbers, and if we could gather 26 Native American patterns from woven goods, whatever, I can see the use for it, and besides, this will always be a free font in memory of Bill, so I honestly can't see any "exploitation" arguments.

We could even include in the Readme file that there are worthy places of Cherokee ancestry worthy of a donation in exchange for the font.

Again, these, too, are just thoughts.

I hate "all talk and no action" but I also want to do this right and with respect, and that's why I felt a need to post today after a lot of unpleasant wool-gathering.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    We're here to discuss, Larry.
    i really did look at this twice and think "we're here to discuss larry?"

ok, i'll leave now...

(count me in if you need something for the remember bill font)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi,
    I did this awhile ago (quite awhile ago) but was wondering is this would be along the idea.?Beads.xar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cotty_beads.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	97926  
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I went along and traced, my part of the horse.
    And I am also not surprised at the decision not to do this as a font.

My opinion is to forget any and all images.

It's a font, we're trying to creat.

So, it should be just that. A Font.
    A pure and simple font.
    A distinguishable font that stands out, but not so that you wouldn't use it.
    A font that I could use in a document, or for a logo I might design.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

@scotty thats a nice brush

@rik i agree
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.