Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: Gary is stalled out on the Soquili font

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Larry and All—

I'm thinking I'm going to take this decidedly stalled effort private: IOW, I've got a collection of Native Cherokee patterns and I will trace them off and make a decorative typeface out of it. And I will first present the typeface as a gift to the Cherokee Nation on behalf of TalkGraphics and our Spirit Guide Bill Taylor, God Bless him.

If anyone would like to continue collaborating on this thread, more power to you, but MikeW hasn't check in here publicly in a while and Big Frank hasn't been here in months, and these are the only two typography-savvy members I know of, so I'll do what I've always done with typefaces. I design them, build them, and then give 'em away.

Attachment 100580

If any one would like to help me trace off the patterns, PM me, okay? I'm not going to begin until I have a major project out of the way in April. The above is but a small example of the native art I've been able to collect.

My Best,

Gary
    I haven't checked into this thread because, well, several reasons. But hey, I'll send an email. I just finished a couple more fonts I had been fixing and working on for another font business. Itchin' for more.

Mike

I wasn't singling you out, Mike, I'm sorry if I suggested that!

I just think at this point, over a year after our friend passed away, we're suffering from over-discussion, we're all busy with day-to-day stuff (including me), and I thought, "Shucks, let's get some closure going, or this thread is going to look like the end of the cow that doesn't eat."

This particularly sorry unfinished piece of business has got to resolve itself. I'll do the hard stuff, I just could use some people who can do precision tracing, and understand how to un-distort a pattern from pics I now have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-more-Cherokee-patterns.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	100585

PM me.

-g

No worries, Gary! Didn't feel singled-out at all. At least not in a bad way.

And ya know, beginning with Windows 8.1, colored glyphs are now possible. Just sayin'.

Anyway, Folks...
    I have begun and used the following image for the first glyph. For anyone playing along, we need to post here as to which image we are working on from Gary's compilation of patterns.

The first one I have done:

Name:	capture-001107.png 
Views:	568 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	100624

Here is the glyph tested in XDP. The red vertical line is XDP's cursor. This is the result of typing the cap letter M twice to test the kerning of the temporary font.

Name:	capture-001106.png 
Views:	599 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	100625

As Gary is really pressed for time at the moment, please feel free to send me your completed XAR files for any you have worked on. I'll get the ball rolling on stuffing them into a font file, adjust the spacing and kerning.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M.png 
Views:	601 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	100623  

I'm just ducking in for two secs.

Mike, that's amazing; you did a superb job on the stitchwork.

How are other contributors (such as I) going to compete?

Well done, friend,

Gare

I was just looking over this old thread. What a shame that it stalled and has gone no further.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes. My fault entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Yes. My fault entirely.
    I doubt that Mike.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Let me see if I can't get something going again. I'll check back in in a few days, okay? I've sort of been living in FontLab for the past two days, the font idea shouldn't be hard to pull up and re-evaluate.

-g

OK Cool.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509