Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navbar does not resize

I've just upgraded to XARA Web designer 9 premium, on the premise that the NavBar has been improved.
    I still cannot find any solution to getting the NavBar to fit the page.
    My page is 770 when I try drag the NavBar to fit the edges it either stays where it is or grows to long.
    I've unlocked the ratio .. no luck
    I've ungrouped... no luck
    I've ungrouped all... only the you Can't recreate the NavBar...

Has anyone had similair problems... or perhaps a solution in case I'm just missing something

For the rest I'm realy enjoying Xara... but this simple thing makes me want to stop using this product.

Please help .....

Default Re: Navbar does not resize

You really need to upload an example or explain how you created the navbar.

Acorn

That's kind difficult to do, I'd have to make a video.
    In simpler terms... when I set the NavBar width.... to 770 ( the page width ) it does not stay 770px it jumps back to 766px.

Anyone can re-create this... just drag a NavBar onto the page.... and then try to resize it to your page width.
    You'll see it does not work in XARA.. which means you always have a NavBar which does not fit.... unless you re-create every page as grouped graphics.

If you can help... that will be great... if can't get this to work I'm going to ask for money back. ( Building menu's all day long is not my idea of getting a site up when using a template ).

This is a screenshot... but does not show the steps.
    might though show part of my problem ( any help much appreciated )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nav problem screenshot.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	95863

I have used a number of templated sites just, selected the navbar and resized to 770px without difficulty.

Methods:
    1. Highlighted the navbar and extended to 770px with Snap to Objects set. I tried 870px as well.
    2. Highlighted the navbar and used the Infobar Size and set W to 770px and then repositioned the navbar.
    3. Created my own button array, added a back object and did 1. & 2. again.

The only thing to note for 1. & 2. for Xara template navbars is there is probably a shadow taking up some of the width.

To get the buttons to fit, you then highlight them, switch to Text mode and use Interactive size to expand stretchy buttons...

Acorn

Thanks Acorn.
    Can you try your scenario with an additional page added so it gives you an additional link in the Navbar.
    If it still resizes and remains resized I'll be very surpised, but then I'll know the problem is on my side.
    Cheers and Thanks

I suspect what is happening is you have your Nav Bar settings set to adjust the button to accommodate the text. In the Navigation Bar Properties menu, un-check Adjust Button Width to Labels. Then resize the navigation bar.

Funny, I have the exact same problem as you crash. My site is a custom size @ 864px and all of the bleedin' horizontal nav bars stop at 760(ish) or shoot up to 851.6px wide. None of them will size correctly . I've tried to uncheck "Adjust button widths to labels" but the result is even worse as the buttons are all the same size with text that crowds over other buttons... Im sure this is supposed to happen but I am clueless what to do to make the buttons size correctly again. It's a sad loop I am stuck in and I'm sure not the last one.

@crash: Ive the same problem. My page/site is set to a custom size of 864px and the nav bar is supposed to be 812 but it stops at 760ish OR my alternative is 851.6px! Bollocks.

@gwpriester: You finished by saying "The resize the navigation bar." Then what m8? How do you get back to making everything look good again after an attempt at resizing that way please? Cheers.

OK I just gave it a shot and neither resizing method works.

I'll report this to the developers and see what they have to say.