Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XaReg revisited

Default XaReg revisited

Administrator Note: This is the post that started this forum and the project. I've since broken this thread up into different threads in this forum for topics that arose, the name of the project, resource material, project volunteers who need to be added to the SourceForge project.

Now that we have lost Bill there will be no update to version 9 for XaReg. I am willing to try and recreate it in C# with help. However, I am already older than Bill, so this time I think we need a plan for continuity. So, is there anyone out there who would like to help? Microsoft has an Express version of C# that is free, so that should not be a problem. Also any suggestions for a way to make it open source?
    Last edited by Barbara B; 29 April 2013 at 01:47 AM.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Default Re: XaReg revisited

Hi Grace—

I know nothing of c# or C programming in general, but a friend of mine who uses Xara does. I'll ask him to at very least chime in here.

I volunteer whatever interface design and/or graphics skills might be needed to the project. I miss Bill, too.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I think this is wonderful! I can't help with coding but I too would be glad to offer any graphics design services that might be needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

The coding is not a problem, I can handle that. But I will take everyone up on the other help. I am already a member of SourceForge, so that seems like a good place to start.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

I had actually thought about contacting Bill, well before I had learned he had passed, to see if he would consider making his source opensource, since he was openly discussing a total re-write.

I've since thought about starting such a project, but, other things seem to bubble to the top of the todo list.

I'm willing to help where necessary and as time permits. I've done a fair amount of coding, but not so much in C#. I have VS2012 and can compile and test updates as needed.

If I can be of help, let me know.

Regards,

Steven...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara B View Post
    Set up a repository at GitHub or SourceForge or the like. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ing_facilities
    Codeplex is popular for Microsoft specific platforms: http://www.codeplex.com/
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Barbara (sorry Gary ) I think the same thing with Xtender as with Xtensions it implies extending or adding to the software which is not what this will do.

I would also like to volunteer to do a download page using Xara that could have links to the open source repository as well as download links and links to discussions here at TG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Hi Frances,

I'm not sure what or where a download page is/would be, but I think that we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. We don't have a name yet, a licence picked, a fourm setup nor has a single line of code been written. Let's slow down and take this step by step. OK.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com
    IP

How about "Xoquili"?

I would like to suggest that the project be open source, available for anyone to inspect and submit changes.

If the developers need to know anything about the registry settings and what they do just ask any of us Xara guys on the forum. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we'd all be happy to help.

Phil
    IP

I like XaraRegistryEditor (XRE) at the moment. I will wait a few days before doing anything. Any ideas for the form? I was quite happy with the original in XaReg. If nothing else it makes it easier for people used to the current version.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP