Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am currently looking at adding to my graphics software. I currently own Photoshop 7.0 PaintShop Pro 7, XaraX, and Corel 11. Is there something that PhotoImpact can add that the others can't? I'm seriously considering buying it but don't want to invest the money, if it doesn't have anything more to offer. Thanks

Sandi
    IP

I am currently looking at adding to my graphics software. I currently own Photoshop 7.0 PaintShop Pro 7, XaraX, and Corel 11. Is there something that PhotoImpact can add that the others can't? I'm seriously considering buying it but don't want to invest the money, if it doesn't have anything more to offer. Thanks

Sandi
    IP

Sandihill,
    I don't know what you're planning on using PI for, but I can assure you that PI is faster in production and easier to learn than PS or Psp. It has no NEED for external filters like other applications, because of the richness of it's natives. Not that there aren't nice additions that it can use. But you don't have to take my word for it. Download a copy, come to Stephanies PIBB (sorry Gidget, Facts is Facts) and you can check out some of the best tutorials and learn the program with some of its foremost experts...
    However, if you wish to continue using those other programs...feel free. There's certainly no one way to work...

Enter the PhotoimpactZone!
    IP

My advice Sandihill; try to stick to a small selection of programs. You should really ask yourself if you really need all these programs or that you should consider to use only two of them. I don't want to go in discussion about which program is the best, but I would like you to consider drop a few of your list. Just look at the software you use; Photoshop 7.0 PaintShop Pro 7, XaraX, Corel 11 and now you're considering Photoimpact. I really get the impression that you don't know exactly what you want.

For 2d bitmaps you can use these programs that you possess or want to possess;

Photoshop
    Paintshop
    Corel 11
    Photoimpact

For 2d vectors you can use

Photoshop
    Paintshop
    Corel 11
    Photoimpact
    Xara X

That already shows that at least 4 programs are fighting for “attention” in each category.
    Sorry, but you're making it yourself really difficult if you ask me. Most people who are in graphics for years stick mostly to one 2d bitmap program, a dedicated vector program and maybe a 3d program. There are Photoshop gurus who use Photoshop for years and are still learning something new every day and what do you think what it takes to learn all the other programs on your list. I've been in that situation too years ago and it drove me nuts; I could never make up my mind. It mostly has to do with the fact that people think that the program will do the work for them, they become impatient and rush to another program hoping that that one will do a miracle. Trust me, learning graphics takes time and so does learning software. You really have to stick to a select set of programs and try to make the best of it. Only time will tell if you need an extra program that fills in the gaps, but please, give yourself time, focus on what you really want instead of wandering from one program to the other.

If you really want to know which programs suite you best; http://www.bakhter.com/ is a great site to find more information about all the different 2D and 3D products in the market. Also a good way to find more about graphic design software is to go to www.google.com and type something like this: “Photoimpact 7” review. You will find more information when you do a search on the internet then asking a question in a Deneba Canvas, Photoimpact or Photoshop forum which program to use, because the answer is most often very predictable…

If you need more information, feel free to ask, because you don't seem to be very happy with the situation you've put yourself in.

[This message was edited by Gaussian on August 28, 2002 at 19:35.]
    IP

I use XaraX for most of my vector uses that need the diversity that XaraX provides, PhotoImpact for mixed vector/painting projects and PhotoPaint for pure "painterly" projects.

Why don't I use PhotoImpact in place of PhotoPaint?? PhotoPaints painting tools are, IMHO, better in many areas than PhotoImpact and even Stephanie aggrees on that point. So if you already own XaraX and PhotoShop but want a program that will give you both within the same 'canvas' or workarea then PhotoImpact should be strongly considered to add to your arsenal. PhotoImpact has allot of nice extras that are fun and useful. The stamps and the Galleries of shapes, lines, templates, ect......are really nice tools. The fact that it comes with a pretty nice web builder "plug in" type of set up, is nice too. It is fast, it doesn't seem to crash the system (mine is one picky system and XaraX crashes it from time to time) it's fairly easy to learn and what you can't figure out there are two forums, headed by Stephanie and lots and lots of tutorials to work from. I don't regret one minute owning my copy of it. Well worth it in my book!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good luck in your decision making process!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Actually, PI7 has one thing that none of the other programs mentioned seem to have, which I mentioned in a previous posting. PI7 can see the original image to which filters have been applied elsewhere. When I'm at home, I'll post two images but it may be irrelevant to your needs.

Jon
    Jon
    IP

I qoute myself:

"You will find more information when you do a search on the internet then asking a question in a Deneba Canvas, Photoimpact or Photoshop forum which program to use, because the answer is most often very predictable…"

It's like entering a Sony story and ask which brand you should buy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

are presented to show how clever PI7 is, that's all! The original one ("24b") was brown. If one opens up the red one (ending in "4"), PI7 will see the original brown one. Clever or what?

Jon
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jon
    IP

but as an apparent software junkie, like many of us, perhaps giving it a trial download will give you a chance to decide. While I agree with Gaussian that there are no "talent plugins" and they discontinued the "experience plugin" way back in 1980 or so, I can't say that trying out different tools is a bad thing. I've found some real jewels along the way that either made my work easier or gave me a tool set that filled in a gap in my arsenal.

I've seen Gaussian's posts elsewhere on talk graphics. There seems to be a tendency toward trying to generate controversy where none exists. The poster asked for reasons to use the software. I can think of no better place to get answers to that kind of question than from active users of the product.

And Gaussian... not all answers on a given board follow your personal bias rule. What ever fits the user is what I recommend they use... be it PhotoShop, Xara, PSP, PI or Windows Paint. The rivalry aspect of "who's is bigger" gets blown way out of proportion and gets in the way of common sense far too often.

Cedge
    PI 3-4-5-6-7
    PS 3-4-5-6
    PSP 3-4-5
    Xara
    Web3d 1-2
    3dStudio
    Cinema4d
    and many others, some long dead....all still very usable
    IP

Welcome Cedge...

You bring about a very good point re use of more than one app... I too find myself using many different apps/tools to achieve the effect that I am looking for...that said, I also tend to use PI as my mainstay 2D editor mainly because of how familiar/comfortable I am within PI, as well due to how robust PI is and how that enables one to accomplish many tasks while in remaining within one enviroment...

Will I upgrade to the next version when it comes out ? ... Yes

Why? ... because it offers so much for so little... pretty hard not to go with a working thing... but hey... that's just me...

I just use the product, and, I am happy when I see the results of others doing the same...also goes for the worx created by many using their favorite apps... cool stuff.. bring on the worx... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP