Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF Filter error

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDFNET error.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	95767

I'm getting this error when trying to export a 2 page (tabloid) .pdf for printing. I am running tests with the different export options, as I am trying to get a good sense of the differences.
    Has anyone got any idea of what this error is caused by?

Another question: Attached is an image showing a 'gloss' appearance I put on a colour swatch. The top, white colour has both a flat transparency and a bit o feather. At ~1300%, it looks like shite. Does anyone know any tricks of getting around this?

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transp_blurr.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	95768

Default Re: PDF Filter error

Firstly, the error you are getting indicates a bug (an case not being handled correctly) in the exporting process. The most likely cause I can think of is a graduated fill where not all the colours used are in the same colour model (e.g. RGB, HSV, CMYK). The PDF export is supposed to handle these cases but there may be some combination of circumstances that is giving problems. Your best bet would be to open a support ticket at support.xara.com and submit your file for diagnosis (or, if your document is not private/sensitive and is small enough then upload it here).

The feathering effect has to be exported using a bitmap and the resolution of this is controlled in the PDF export options. Increasing the value should improve the quality at high zoom but will make the PDF file larger (possibly considerably). You would probably be better off using an effect that exports natively to PDF, such as an elliptical, multistage fill (see attachment) or a blend of shapes. The attached file exported as a High Quality PDF is only 2812 bytes...

Gerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would do what Gerry asks as they know all about the error codes. What he means in the 2nd sentence is that is better to stick two one colour mode and as the PDF exports to CMYK it would be better to stick to that colour mode throughout your design process although you can quite easily work in HSV then export. In areas where you are using RGB effects (feathering, transparencies, shadows and bevels it is better practice to render that area as a bitmap copy before exporting as this leads to less errors in the export. In the last paragraph Gerry is saying to increase the DPI under the "Advance Options" the max I would use there would be 300 and the min. would be 150.
    Design is thinking made visual.

OK, thanks to you both for your insights and speedy responses. Funny, as I thought I was working purely in CMYK, but perhaps something got by me - ah, now that I think of it, a late entry bitmap might just be the cause....

I'll have a go with your suggestions.

Thanks a bunch

BTW - that graduated fill is crafty! Now why didn't I think of that?