Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First draft of my website.

I don't feel that the policies of TG should have any effect on your website.

Whatever it was that was controversial, you can place a warning of some kind on the link, but please don't remove or change the site because of TG sensibilities. Make changes because you want to, or you feel it's the right thing to do. If it was simply the young ladies on the albums, make no apologies.

I'm really disappointed to see it go.

What? If the TG watchdogs don't like your site they can remove the link from this thread. They have no authority to cause you to remove it from the web.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    If it was simply the young ladies on the albums, make no apologies.
    I agree with Paul. They were tastefully and artfully done.

Piet's site is a work in progress sledger. There is still work to be done. (Unless I missed it, there was no way to contact you, Piet). Was there?

And as sledger says, there is no need for you to remove the site from the Internet. We moderators can remove the link to the site.

Piet, I went through the site fully and I have to say that even though I would consider myself conservative on many subject there is nothing there that would offend me in the least. I would understand if someone pasted something offensive but unless I missed something there was no need for that, anyway I don't understand why you have taken off the site all together, the link could have been removed here. Please keep us updated on the site's progress.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Sorry for failing to respond any sooner, but there were some things to do. Work and stuff. Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions.
    By the way, TG never suggested I’d remove my site from the web or anything, that was entirely my own decision. They simply said that, due to the nature of some of its content, it just can't be put in the Gallery without some sort of flag or word of warning.

I’ve meanwhile put the site back online and also did quite a bit of work on it these past two days: new mouse-overs, new layer transitions, additional content, all sorts of little improvements (well, I hope they are), … it even has got its own favicon now.
    I also re-named the pages (which led to the discovery that my provider insists on the first page being named ‘index’: any other name, like ‘home’ for instance, and the thing won’t load).

But talking about ‘mouse overs’, here’s something that’s bothering me a little bit: could it be that there is a tiny flaw in the Xara-code which makes mouse-over layers often fail to disappear when you move too fast over them? Try this page for example: simply do one or more fast sweeps with the mouse over those 5 images and note how some of the mouse-over layers (the text elements below the images) just won't disappear as they should. Is there something that can be done about this? It's not a big thing, but it looks a bit sloppy I feel if things behave like that.

Thanks again!

_

I also re-named the pages (which led to the discovery that my provider insists on the first page being named ‘index’.

Perhaps you're confusing the name of the file with the page title?

The file has to be named index.htm or index.html, but you can make the page title whatever you wish. It's the page title that's important.

It's great to see your site back. I think it's my favourite site built with Xara software. Ever.

Last edited by pauland; 25 April 2013 at 11:57 AM.

As Piet says, I, nor anyone at Xara ever asked him to remove his site from the web.

What I was discussing with Piet in email and with my fellow moderators in the moderator's forum was how handle linking to a site that contains photographic nudity, when such nudity is often considered Not Safe For Work material.

We are an international community of men and women of all ages, some of whom access the site from the work or other non-private computers. We do not want members to inadvertently stumble on material that could get them fired.

I have moved the post from the the Xara Web Gallery where Piet mistakenly first posted because his site is a work in progress and not a finished site which is what the Xara Web Gallery highlights. Additionally Piet told me privately that his initial intent was not to submit the site to be part of the Gallery, but rather to get feedback and help in developing the site, which is the purpose of this forum.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 25 April 2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: First draft of my website. Note: NSFW content.

Welcome again to the TalkGraphics community Piet. It is a refreshing to see how you have put a new spin (pun intended) on a portfolio site. I'm sure that we all can pick up a few pointers from your design and happily the community can repay you with a few Xara Web Designer tips and tricks.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

AWESOME!!! Refreshingly unique xara site full of creative quirks. I love it!

Piet -

I'm late to the party, but just got to see the latest version of the site. I love it -- as a few have pointed out earlier in this thread, the fact that it doesn't follow more common navigation and design techniques makes it a bit of a challenge, and when you combine this with the periodic "rewards" your offer the viewer for having discovered a new clickable item, you've created a site with some of the engaging and compelling aspects of an interactive game. I was a tiny bit befuddled for the first few seconds, and then started exploring the home page. Unlike SO many other sites dominating the web, this one is fun to navigate, and gives the user a little pat on the back for being "clever" enough to figure it out. Also - unique and visually appealing.

BTW: I have a load of Blue Note (and a few Capitol) records (33 1/3 LP's) on a huge shelf in my basement...and NONE of them had cover art like your trip tease covers! I must have picked the wrong musicians!