Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF won't open when published:(

I cannot get a PDF to open after publishing. It's like it isn't recognized at all. I've tried different computers and different browsers to no avail. I've followed all the instructions on tutorals and forums, but nothing has worked. I'm publishing with FileZilla.
    So frustrated.

Default Re: PDF won't open when published:(

Can you tell us what product you are using? And can you please be more specific in your user profile? It helps us address your problem better if we know which product and version you are working with.

Quote Originally Posted by nita View Post
    I cannot get a PDF to open after publishing. It's like it isn't recognized at all. I've tried different computers and different browsers to no avail. I've followed all the instructions on tutorals and forums, but nothing has worked. I'm publishing with FileZilla.
    So frustrated.

I'm using Xara Web Designer MX Premium. I just want to put a PDF link of a longer document on the website and following the instructions online just hasn't worked. Thank you for your help.

nita, what is the URL to your site where the link to the PDF is?

How did you add the PDF? Drag and drop onto the page and accepted as a Link?
    How did you then access the PDF from your page? As a button with a link set up as "link to File (PDF, ...) and selecting this with the Browse... button?
    Did you drop the PDF onto a layer that is not being published?

Acorn

Thanks. You helped me figure it out. I am using Filezilla and I wasn't putting the index files into the index folder. I was just uploading the html files into the .www folder, but that wasn't updating the index files where the PDF was stored. So--yea! It's working.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Gary, wondering if you can help me with a (similar/related?) problem? Am using WD6 to try to upload a pdf file to my website (also tried uploading in .doc format as well), and have tried using Xara to publish, as well as Filezilla, but either way I can't seem to get the file uploaded? In Xara, the browser tells me it's unable to find the file on the server (404 error), and when I tried to upload using Filezilla, I'm told the following.... "Error: Failed to convert command to 8 bit charset". I've tried to upload to the index.html files sub-directory, as well as just as part of the /httpdocs website files. Tried dragging the file to the webpage which produced a pdf icon, but that doesn't seem to have a file to point to after uploading. Perhaps you can tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks a lot, Rikko...

Hi again, I omitted to mention that the file is in foreign language font, but works fine in WD6 as text, menu buttons, etc. And also, I think I should have addressed to "Acorn" sorry, as I see you solved the earlier query (but I'm sure that Gary would have got there also! ((-: )
    Last edited by rikkoshea; 29 May 2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: additional information....

Quote Originally Posted by rikkoshea View Post
    Hi Gary, wondering if you can help me with a (similar/related?) problem? Am using WD6 to try to upload a pdf file to my website (also tried uploading in .doc format as well), and have tried using Xara to publish, as well as Filezilla, but either way I can't seem to get the file uploaded? In Xara, the browser tells me it's unable to find the file on the server (404 error), and when I tried to upload using Filezilla, I'm told the following.... "Error: Failed to convert command to 8 bit charset". I've tried to upload to the index.html files sub-directory, as well as just as part of the /httpdocs website files. Tried dragging the file to the webpage which produced a pdf icon, but that doesn't seem to have a file to point to after uploading. Perhaps you can tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks a lot, Rikko...

Hi again, I omitted to mention that the file is in foreign language font, but works fine in WD6 as text, menu buttons, etc. And also, I think I should have addressed to "Acorn" sorry, as I see you solved the earlier query (but I'm sure that Gary would have got there also! ((-: )
    Hi again, a bit embarrassed to admit I've fixed my own problem. I suddenly realised that when saving my file (to pdf) the foreign characters in the file name I was given were corrupted when the file was saved, so I simply had to change the file name to English! Sorry..... Rikko