Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Shade" 3d app

Anyone ever use this 3D app ... Shade

http://www.expressiontools.com/

There's 2 versions

1 ... rob a bank version (pro)
    2 ... break the bank version (personal) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

hehe ... anyway, I might try the demo

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

Anyone ever use this 3D app ... Shade

http://www.expressiontools.com/

There's 2 versions

1 ... rob a bank version (pro)
    2 ... break the bank version (personal) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

hehe ... anyway, I might try the demo

Well, I have ta tell ya, I stumbled onto this app a while back and was very keen on trying it out, only to learn that one needs to be running with W2000/XP... ah man, major bummer for us hardline holdouts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Such is life when ya choose not to support the man at the top anymore than ya have ta... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Do let us know how it goes there Dave [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

what are yoiu running? ... Gee I had so much hastle with win98/ME compared to XP (freezes, errors, having to crtl-alt-delete or plain shot off the comp with the button) that it's unbelievable how much less I swear at my computer now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . But the more I think of Microsoft's stupid contols on XP activation the more I think their idea is stupid. I mean , there were pirate versions of XP out soon after the release and these people don't have to go through any potential hastle if they have to reinstall on a new computer ... only valid customers have to . Geesh talk about backwards! Anyway maybe you have less problems with your OS than I did so best of luck.

win98...

I bought Me when it first came out, but...yup, way too many freezes, cost me a couple of mice as well hehe, thus Me collects dust,

but 98 on my baby celery and smooth sailing...day in and day out, just hop on and away I go... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I actually found that having too much RAM with Win98 or WinME is what caused the majority of my crashes and instability. To think, too many resources for older software is actually a bad thing!

As far as Shade goes - honestly, it seems a little expensive for what they offer. For the full price of the professional version, it should be able to compete directly with other apps of that same price (such as LightWave), and I don't honestly think it does.

But, I'm basing this totally off of the specs and feature highlights. I've never actually used the program.

I played with the demo a little bit (I love to try new 3d apps), and honestly, I found the interface a bit counter-intuitive. In my opinion, a good 3d app should be able to be navigated easily without instructions or tutorials on the first session. Only advanced or specialized modeling and animation features should require documentation to execute. Shade, for me, was not easy to operate on intuition alone.

Don't know if that's useful or not, but I'd honestly try playing with other 3d apps. trueSpace, by Caligari, is a good beginner (and moderate-advanced) application.

I only have 192 megs of ram and all seems smooth indeed... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Now then, hey Earl, thanks for testing Shade out for us... I tend to agree with you regarding GUI sensibility... Most of the apps I currently use, I do so because they were very intuitive right from the git go... You make a ton of sense when suggesting that only those things advanced should require help files...

Let's see how Dave makes out...

Win98 and WinME support up to 512 MB of RAM (or so I'm told). So any thing below that shouldn't cause any problems. =)

Then again, who really knows....I still say these computers have 'minds' of their own...

Thanx Earl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dave, how goes the Shade trial ?