Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default WD9 Premium Crashes Often

I have had multiple (maybe 10) major crashes with WD9 Premium in one week of low usage. A crash report is also generated. I had no problem with this in WD8 nor any other program on my computer, including a video editor.

When it happens, it is always when I save the project file by clicking on the blue disc file save icon. After the crash my project file is corrupted and unuseable. It is getting tiresome as I have lost a lot of work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tomsbs; 16 April 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: WD9 Premium Crashes Often

A crash when saving a project could mean that the application is having some issue with writing to your HDD.
    Can you try disabling any AV/Security software you have running, any backup software or any other software which might be preventing Xara from writing to file?

Thanks for the reply. Your comments are valid.

I have never had any issue with saving files with any other software I have used, over many years, including WD8. I have always paid attention to what is running in the background on my computer and uninstall any superfluous software. I have tried disabling any AV software I have. Nothing has helped so far.

I am convinced it is an issue with WD9. The project in question is 25 pages. I wonder if that may play a role in this. I have a smaller project that seems to be more stable so far. But I have worked with it less at this point in time as far as WD9. If it matters I am using the 64 bit version.

I haven't seen any other postings on this issue so I am alone at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsbs View Post
    I am convinced it is an issue with WD9. The project in question is 25 pages.
    You could be right. It could be something unique to your file.
    Why not install the 32bit version of WD9 as well and see how that goes exporting the same file.
    (You may install both side-by-side using your same license.)

It's worth a shot. I hadn't thought of installing 32 & 64 side by side. I'll let you know.

I am using the 64 XWDP9. It crashes constantly, including when working on backgrounds and with the new google fonts. There was an update today which I m hoping reduces these. It's such a pity because it is a really great program with some great new features.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I would suggest that both of you contact Xara support and give them all the details you can about what leads up to the crashes, your system, and what other programs you may have running in the background such as AV/internet security etc.

I have both the 32bit and 64 bit versions on my system and I have not had any issues like these. I love the new backgrounds features, but I'm not so keen on the google fonts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I would suggest that both of you contact Xara support and give them all the details you can about what leads up to the crashes, your system, and what other programs you may have running in the background such as AV/internet security etc.

I have both the 32bit and 64 bit versions on my system and I have not had any issues like these. I love the new backgrounds features, but I'm not so keen on the google fonts.
    It's a mystery, I confess. I have a very fast system. I do use anti virus and anti spyware and anti malware... Maybe that is scary to the program, but there is nothing I can do about that. We have to have high security, and it normally isn't a problem... The crashes make their own log files, which I just fill in and send to Xara. I have no idea what is causing them. The program normally recovers, but refuses to do whatever the particular task is.

What is it that you don't like about the Google fonts? I don't know how they will pan out in real usage, ie from the browser end, but it is so neat to be able to click an Add button. Saves all that faffing with other web fonts. I find it difficult to keep track.

So far I really like this new premium version, and I cannot wait for the next upgrade to Designer Pro, so I don't have to work with two programs open

A.

I am also experiencing crashes on the trial version of WD9P. When I try to trim a photo and click on 'clip', it crashes every time. I have submitted the crash reports but have heard nothing further. I am now having to jump back to WDMXP to trim photos then copy and paste. I did intend to buy the new version but not until this issue is resolved. Otherwise it looks very good.

Thanks for your replies. I thought I was the only one with this issue until now. Since others are experiencing this it means they will fix it eventually. I'm downloading the update that just came out with the hope that they have fixed it already.
    Last edited by tomsbs; 18 April 2013 at 02:23 AM.