Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A few Newbie questions

I just bought Web Designer 9 Premium. What a great product! A couple of beginner questions, if I may:
    1. There are references to a pdf Manual. Where/how do I get it?
    2. Why are there still some red folders in my Gallery list after paying (Template Pack 1+2, Widget Pack 1, Web Pack 1,2)?
    3. Is everything that comprises my site saved in the .web file? Including jpgs or are there links to the jpgs so that I have to retain those files in the original folders?
    4. What are xar files.

Thank you !!!

Default Re: A few Newbie questions

Welcome to Xara's world, soon to be yours.
    1. Whoever reads manuals? Only kidding. I bought the on-line upgrade so I don't know what might come on a CD. Where did you see the mention of a PDF manual?
    2. They are items you can but - don't do so yet until you know your own needs better. They are in http://www.xara.com/uk/packs/.
    3. Typically yes, it is your master document. If you have large JPEGs and you import them with the default setting, they are scaled down to 500px wide. It is therefore wise to keep copies of your masters safe (e.g., use Picasa or load into the Cloud, ...). If you crop and then optimise photos, all that remains in the .web is that version. Also if you drop items like PDFs onto the page as a link, they are stored in your site's sub-folder so these are not embedded into the .web file at all.
    4. .xar are the bigger brother of .web files; they can be imported but not saved from XWD9P.

Acorn

Thank you, Acorn

1. If you downloaded your copy of WD9 Permium you must have received a confirmation email. Take a look if there is also a link to the manual pdf -- at least this was the case with last year's edition.

If you do not have the link to the PDF file following your purchase then contact Xara support at http://support.xara.com and they can provide you with the link to download the PDF manual. It is also included in the purchase confirmation email.