Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bitmap background dpi

I'm having a problem setting the dpi of a repeating tile bitmap image being used for the background of my website. I can get it to display and repeat, but it is stuck on a very low dpi. I change the dpi and it looks great in design mode, but as soon as I preview it, it is back to low resolution (the images are much bigger and blurrier than they should be). Anyone know why this is happening and how to get it to work properly?

Default Re: Bitmap background dpi

How are you adding the bitmap fills to your background?

The background image should be 96dpi, Windows screen resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rkindy View Post
    as soon as I preview it, it is back to low resolution
    I have no real idea but does refreshing your browser change anything?

Acorn

I'm dragging the bitmap image into the background, holding SHIFT and releasing....it fills the background as I want it to, and I can change the dpi to 200 and it looks great.....but then when I preview it, it is back to the 96 dpi. I want to be able to publish it in 200 dpi, but am having a problem with this for some reason.

Acorn- Yes, I refreshed the browser but nothing.....it's frustrating, why would it look perfect in design mode but keep reverting to low dpi in preview?? Can't figure it out.....

What version are you using? Versions prior to v9 had various limitations on using tiled bitmap backgrounds. The bitmap used for the fill would be used directly as the tiling bitmap but the fill control handles that control the size and hence the apparent dpi of the bitmap (as well as rotation and shearing) were ignored. It sounds like this is what is happening. If this is the case then you can drag the bitmap onto the page, rescale it to the desired size (an exact pixel size in both directions is best) and then use create bitmap copy to create a new bitmap you can apply as the pasteboard background.

Version 9 should be much better in this regard, creating the scaled bitmap automatically, though the fill handles should be kept axis-aligned to ensure the fill can be tiled in the HTML (if you rotate the fill then it will create a large, non-tiled bitmap the size of the pasteboard, which could be very large).

Gerry

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This leads me to another question will an image set to repeat inverted be exported as a large bit map or will it export as html?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

It should be exported as a tile of 4 copies of the original bitmap, so twice the size in each direction. This allows it to be tiled by the HTML but does need a larger bitmap file.

Gerry

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Ok Thanks Gerry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.