Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placeholder

Unhappy Placeholder

I imported a working web site from Web Designer MX Premium 8 into Web Designer 9 Premium. Everything works except an applet that was used with a placeholder. Does anyone know if Web Designer 9 Premium will run an applet (HTML code) placed in a placeholder? The applet works fine in Web Designer MX Premium 8.

Default Re: Placeholder

I should think it would. Make sure the code did not get lost in transit.

The code is letter for letter the sameClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Working xmas.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	95461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not working xmas in 9 premium.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	95462

The first pic is the working version in version 8 The second is what shows up in 9

You must make sure that the JAVA applet .class file is also where WD9 expects to find it. .class files are net embedded as html in the .web file.

Correction ".class files are not embedded as html in the .web file."

The class files are in the same directory as the Web Document. If it goes someplace else then I don't know where.

Any external files that you need to be included along with the exported files from Web Designer (support files, not HTML files) must be in the web documents support folder which is a folder in the same directory as your web document is saved.
    You can force them to be included by creating a link to the file in question, then remove the link. (eg select an object > Web Properties > Link tab > Link to File > Select File > Click Apply > Select 'Do Nothing' > OK).

I understand what you are saying, but the program already finds the correct file but does not execute it the same as MX 8. Now I just tried to run the program saved by version 9 with MX 8. I got the following message (see pic). I click on the OK and the program runs perfectly. So it appears to me that something in version 9 is not compatible with version 8Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not compatible.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	95472

Files saved from v8 will work the same in v9. If you save the file then in v9 and re-open it in an earlier version then any new features applied in the file (features newer than the old version of program you're re-opening the file in) will not be accessible.
    When you open the saved v8 website document that does work correctly in v9 and you export it locally, are all the correct files shown that you'd expect in the exported _htm_files folder?

If they are, but not when you export the file from v8 then it's most likely that either you have opened a different file, or renamed the saved website document prior to exporting it (thus breaking the link between the website document and its support folder).

I will have to work with that a while. So far I have placed all the files associated with V8 in a V9 folder, then saved the V8 version under a different name in the V9 folder. That does not work either. Neither does opening the working program in V8 in V9. I will fiddle with it some more and if can't get it to work, will start from scratch. But back up a bit. V9 sees the applet and tries to run it. At the beginning of the file is a bgsound midi that runs, but the rest of the file does not work, but it tries. It is supposed to draw a rectangle and put in a background image in it and then show blowing snow. It draws the rectangle but not the right size and can't put the background image in it.