Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default static banner text displayed

Hello All, I have Web designer seven premium. I have made a number of static banners, the text looks reasonably fine when they are made, when they are exported as jPG the text is not as sharp as what it did when they were made.
    I think they were made with the SVGA setting off hand from memory.

I want to start doing some animation ones with pictures and text moving if possible but if they are not very clear I did not want to waste much time.

These files are uploaded to website for approval sometimes as well.
    I have my own profile on the website where I test a lot of things that seem to be all right on their it is only when they are displayed in a chat forum that text edges seem to me to be not as sharp.

If anybody has any assistance would appreciate it.

Regards Mark

Default Re: static banner text displayed

JPG format is designed for millions of colours, such as photographs and is a lossy format. For banners with solid colours and hard edge shapes and crisp text, use PNG.
    Animated banners will be best as SWF.
    Creating animated banners for websites can lead to premature ageing, may result in hearing loss and in some cases macular degeneration.

hello again, thank you for your reply. I could not find my posting originally yesterday and I was looking, I thought I had posted it someone and a search still did not find it, then I found out it was on the next page of the the forum.
    It is the text does not seem very crisp I'll have to look at it again.
    Regarding the Gif everybody seems to make them on the website with no problems getting different moving objects it works fine. Not sure what program that they are using, possibly photo shop, one of the other high graphics packages maybe.
    I don't understand your last comment about creating animated banners?
    Anyway thanks for your reply I will try PNG, but everybody seems to use GIf .jpg. I was wondering if I went out to 955 would that make a difference in making the banners.
    In any documentation on the website to show how to make an GiF animation, I remember seeing some information sometime ago, it was a different lot of links, I can find one but not the one I originally had.

Hi Mark.

You said you were exporting in JPG..
    JPG is the wrong choice for static text, which is why I have mentioned to use PNG.

You cannot create JPG animations.
    But yes, GIF would result in clearer/cleaner text.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek Animated banners on websites often just frighten people away and are generally frowned upon. They are also so 1990's..

thank you again for your reply, yes I know you cannot make an animation out of JPG. I just want to start to make some nice animations that we have the banner sorted out from a few months ago, the days between 3-D version 6 version 7 using both those to make with those there is not enough hours in the day to get my IT course in everything else done.

Getting back to animations I have also photo and graphic design 7, is there any preference using either program to make the animations in GIf?

I appreciate all the time you have spent to all my messages in the past as well.

Regards Mark

hello again thank you very much for your replies, I know you cannot make a animation out of JPG, I was only stating that I wanted to start making some nice GIf animations like all the others have done. Some of them have been using a website which can be basic stuff for a static banner but as I have both Web designer 7 and photo and graphic designer premium I was wondering if there were any preference to making the animations in either program with your knowledge?

I really appreciate all your help with all of my other replies to the forum as well as Larry, in the past few months we have been trying to sort out 3-D makers seven and six you make some double sided animations which I have now mastered incorporating graphic designer to make certain shapes and then copy them into 3-D maker. I still have to do some more working to a text one side and picture on the other but at least I can now put to different pictures on each side of the rotating animation.

Anyway if there is any preference to using either program to make the animation static banner could you let me know if possible, I will try and find the links to make a animation as well on the forum as well.

Thanks again regards Mark

First, your thread is entitled static banner text displayed and asks about the best format for text - so we would be going off-topic talking about animation.

To solve your original post and with the topic in mind, for banner graphics where text is an important component and where clarity is paramount, use PNG
    While GIF was fine in the 90's, it has a limit of 256 possible colours and is not really suitable if your banner also includes a photographic element.

So stick with PNG for static banners with text.

Anyway if there is any preference to using either program to make the animation static banner
    An animation static banner!?!

As to which application will be best to use for an animation? Well, it depends.
    Photo&Graphic Designer is really nothing like Xara 3D 6 or 7.
    Photo&Graphic Designer requires much more work on your part, but is capable of delivering results that 3D maker just cannot.
    Personally, I would start a new thread to discuss animations.

thanks a lot again, but he misunderstood a bit, I was asking whether photo graphic designer or Web designer is better for my animation static banner that was all, the only reason I mention 3-D maker was I was using the other two programs to make a specific shape size Square for arguments sake, put it into 3-D maker so I can make double sided square with different pictures on each side.
    3-D maker has a limited amount of designs and a lot of pictures I have will not fit into those different shapes.
    Anyway it will start a new thread.
    Regards Mark

OK Mark, so long as you know what you mean because to me and animation static banner is a bit of an oxymoron.
    Cheers