Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Full home page display on mobile devices

Has anyone developed or seen a website created using Xara where the entire home page displays on an iPhone or droid device? Yes, I know that it will not be readable, but I have quite a few clients who want their entire homepage to display when the website is loaded on any device. Most of my clients’ competitors have websites that display this way. If you do know of or have such a site, I’d appreciate a link to it. Thanks.

Default Re: Full home page display on mobile devices

Didn't we already have this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Didn't we already have this discussion?
    Yes, you certainly have had your say and expressed your opinion as to what constitutes good design. I understand and agree with what you've said, but I'm still faced with the problem of giving my clientele what they are looking for and expecting. Namely, that the new websites I'm creating for them using Xara will behave on their mobile devices the same way they are used to seeing them, i.e., with the entire home page shown at initial load. Virtually every website they've seen behaves this way and if my new Xara website doesn't, they will think that they don't look as good on their mobile device as the website I'm replacing did.

One of the things that goes a long way toward solving my problem is the ability to turn off the automatically generated viewport meta tag by attaching the name NoViewportMeta to any object in the website. With this name applied, my iPhone does just about what I need, but my wife's Android phone still doesn't render Xara websites as well as it renders all the other non-Xara websites out there. I'm counting on Xara to solve even this problem because they have committed to do so by including the "Mobile Device Friendly" feature in both WD9 and WD9 Premium.

To quote from their website: "Websites made with Web Designer are ready for the latest iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. We‘ve invested significant effort in making all our templates and features work with mobile devices, so that you no longer need to spend time creating special cut down (and often ugly) mobile versions of your websites, with complicated redirects."

As I said on the other thread

you no longer need to spend time creating special cut down (and often ugly) mobile versions of your websites

That's a load of B***T

The issue here is that your Xara site, presumably developed for display on a desktop/laptop and how it displays on a mobile phone. Okay let's assume you've created your Xara site at 960 px wide. When viewed on a 21" PC monitor at 96ppi resolution on 1024 pix wide display (or greater) your site will look great.

Now you try to view it on a mobile. All you see is the top left hand corner of your site, about 25% of the whole home page. It's readable but you have to scroll your finger all over the place to read it. Is it any wonder? Average mobiles have a resolution of 360 x 480 px on a 4 to 5 inch screen, therefore your Xara created pixel perfect (960 px wide) site is going to do exactly as stated, show the top left hand corner.

Now it could be that you have an iphone5 with 326ppi display or a Samsung Galaxy S4 with 441ppi display and that will show all of your Xara designed home page on a 5inch screen, and as you state unreadable and therefore useless, but most mobile user don't have these hi-resolution phones so it's the Make & Model of the phone that determines how a Xara created site will display, not Xara software.

You would be better off offering your clients a far better service by creating a mobile friendly site, something that is difficult using a pixel dependant software but not impossible.

It's a case of one size doesn't fit all I'm afraid.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by arthart View Post
    One of the things that goes a long way toward solving my problem is the ability to turn off the automatically generated viewport meta tag by attaching the name NoViewportMeta to any object in the website. With this name applied, my iPhone does just about what I need, but my wife's Android phone still doesn't render Xara websites as well as it renders all the other non-Xara websites out there. I'm counting on Xara to solve even this problem because they have committed to do so by including the "Mobile Device Friendly" feature in both WD9 and WD9 Premium.
    The NoViewportMeta was introduced in version 8 and works equally as well for Android browsers as it does on iOS.
    (Chrome, Dolphin, Opera)

Try this on an Android phone;
    http://xara-users.magix.net/public/mobile1/ (Default export)
    http://xara-users.magix.net/public/mobile2/ (NoViewportMeta version)