Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Eraser Tool/Brush Tool Size Quick Keys

I would like 2 quick keys that increase or decrease the brush size of either the brush or the eraser. In Photoshop and most other programs, the bracket keys accomplish this.

The ideal situation would be similar to Corel Painter, where you can press a key combination (CTRL/ALT) and then drag out a circle that that represents the brush/eraser size.

Right now, to change sizes on the fly isn't very quick. 2 keys to accomplish this is better than 6.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Eraser Tool/Brush Tool Size Quick Keys

You can quickly adjust to practically any size nib by holding ctrl and mouse-wheel zooming in or out. The nib remains the same pixel size 'on screen' but enlarges or shrinks relative to the object size.
    Essentially the same thing and arguably faster than the other methods you cite.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You can quickly adjust to practically any size nib by holding ctrl and mouse-wheel zooming in or out. The nib remains the same pixel size 'on screen' but enlarges or shrinks relative to the object size.
    Essentially the same thing and arguably faster than the other methods you cite.
    Not the same at all, nor as useful as Sheff's request.

@Sheff,

I think the ctrl+drag method would be my preference for the simple reason I am right-handed and the number keys are actually easier for me to hit while working compared to the bracket keys. And it would be the most dynamic means.

Thanks for adding this.

Mike

Not the same at all, nor as useful as Sheff's request.
    That's a rather hostile retort

Mike, I appreciate that opinions may differ, but I think I know a bit about what I'm talking about having used both methods a fair bit over the years.
    For me, it is essentially the same thing and for me it is faster. Maybe I just grew accustomed to Xara's method quickly..

Not meant to be hostile.

Xara's 1-6 keys are shortcuts. You don't seem to use them as a matter of routine. That's fine, others do use them. The shortcuts are already there, just not as "friendly" as a more dynamic approach as suggested. Further, they cannot be remapped (unless I missed it). So the suggestion is simply to change the present shortcut keys to something more "industry standard." And by "industry standard" I am not limiting that phrase to Adobe products, but scores of other products through many years.

Anyway, sometimes product suggestions reveal a limitation in the knowledge of the user (didn't know feature X is present, or how to use feature X). In those cases it is good that others pop into the thread and guide that user. Other times it seems that some following posts invalidate the user's request, whether intended or not.

I did an illustration recently where I needed to zoom in to use the shape builder to build the shape on a lower layer. The difference between zooming in further to use a larger nib or zooming out to see a larger portion of the illustration, I was constantly hitting the size shortcuts in order to not draw outside the lines. That was a pita. If I choose say a 25 px nib, I expect it to remain 25 px regardless of zoom.

Take care, Mike

adjusting the nib sizes by adjusting the zoom [ie the view] at the same time, is not clever in many situations where you are actually drawing, especially freehand
    [and it would be very useful if there was an eraser/shape-builder option for absolute as well as screen pixel sizing BTW]

further if you use the circle drag out method then, hopefully, we can get fine control over the sizes and not just stepped increases which again for those who actually draw [freehand] are very restrictive

I see absolutely no hostility - just a plain statement that I actually agree with looked at from my point of view - I am sure you know what you are talking about Steve when it comes to doing what you do, but you don't draw artistically do you.. at least if you do, you keep it quiet... so [no disrespect] there are other ways of looking at this

[edit- just to be perfectly clear, when I say say drawing 'artistically' - I mean freehand/interpretively and not building up directly over a photograph, but sketching out your own foundations for the art]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...