Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tables in WD9 (Premium)

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    you can have a url display as a link but im afraid its slightly technical again to achieve this.

IN the example csv data below, the word John has been linked to http://www.xara.com and the word John is also linked to this address but its target is set to _blank causing the linked page to be retrieved within a new window.

Categories, Apples, Pears, Oranges, Bananas
    <a href=http://www.xara.com>John</a>, 8, 4, 6, 5
    <a href=http://www.xara.com target=_blank>John</a>, 5, 7, 9, 8
    Joe, 8, 6, 7, 7
    Janet, 3, 6, 3, 10
    James,5,7,12,8
    Joanne,4,9,4,7
    Thanks, that could be useful (though indeed not something I'd pass on to a non-techie user)
    Yaffa

Yesterday my wife was using CorelDraw to make some diagrams with tables. My first rection was that I might suggest using Xara to do it, but then I realised that while I can fudge tables in Xara, for most people wanting to create a table, their expectation is to type away in a table element as they do in a word-processor. So I left her to continue with CorelDraw.

It's about time Xara did incorporate native table functionality, I think. It's been long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

What you need to do is design your row with graphics, fonts vertical bars, text boxes and group them together then Position on Page > Push ticked.
    With snap to object, grid or guides, positioning should be simple. Moving each group up or down repositions the others.

Acorn
    If anyone's been able to use the push feature to set up a simple grid which could be used as a table I'd be grateful to see it. Should be simple but I'm continually running into problems. Latest is getting internal program error 1462.w.co.rt. when I try to move vertical bars.
    Thanks,
    Yaffa

Hi please can you submit the problem file to the support team or upload a cutdown version of your file here so the problem can be logged?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's about time Xara did incorporate native table functionality, I think. It's been long overdue.
    +1

think xara should take a look at wysiwyg web builder - just drag table into document - set rows and colums and style - and bobs your uncle - done !! - xara is still the king in the graphic dept though

I have to agree that it is a feature that I looked for but missed in this product. I do like many of the features but to take information that is sent on a spreadsheet and try to import it into this program was somewhat of a disappointment. I am going to have to try to do an update of my initial work this evening in a different manner but it would have been nice to have a table to drop it in. Sort of select the grids and cut and paste to the cells. No fuss no worry.

I am always fearful when I give the rights for others to write into a web site significant data. I have had Joomla made sites databases corrupted by others who wanted the ability to input data. It is far easier to get people to copy text from their word processors paste it in giving minimal data and then get them to link that data to a PDF/CSV for download. Spending 1/2 an hour with a client and leaving written instructions can save a huge amount of time rather than having to sort a complete site out because of the lack of knowledge.

Maybe this is just me but when I look at a web page it is got to be better than a printed page and a page on the web that uses tables as a list/information data shutters come down over my eyes. Even using Word with its multiple templates and styles I have only seen a few which I would give a second glance to. However Info Graphics or banners can give meaning to facts and figures and thank goodness tables are so rarely seen now as a way of constructing a web page. Taking information and giving it a visual twist is the web forte and that is why I find that I have no real interest in Twitter I would rather use Facebook although twitter is a powerful medium when used correctly.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hello,
    Problem with Xara trying to create a table system is that many people would expect it to do calcuations, etc. Most people that want to create a table are familiar with Microsoft excel and they have spent years creating everything anyone could want in a table. I created the attached table in a couple of minutes in excel and then copied it to clipboard and pasted bitmap into Xara; then used Xara feature to add shadow. What could be simplier?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I created the attached table in a couple of minutes in excel .. What could be simplier?

Not everyone has Excel, or Word.

many people would expect it to do calculations, etc.

I doubt that. Many people manage to use Word without doing spreadsheet tables.